[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Heisei period novels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 5511801.jpg (28 KB, 177x266) Image search: [Google]
5511801.jpg
28 KB, 177x266
To people who read Japanese literature, do you have any recommendations for novels written in the Heisei period(1989-present)?

I search Amazon monthly for new Japanese novels, but to no avail. All I find are old novels from the Meiji - Taisho - Showa periods, novels by Keigo Higashino and other Mystery novelists, and Vertical inc.'s overpublished Crime and Hard-Boiled Detective fiction(I'm sick of these).

Please don't recommend me Haruki Murakami or Natsuo Kirino. I'm mostly looking for Psychological Thrillers and (Black) Comedy novels, but I'm open for any genres as long as they're not cookie-cutter Crime novels. Thanks
>>
>>8233521
Minae Mizumura is what you're looking for, OP. She's excellent. Another one in translation is coming out next year too.
>>
>>8233521
The famous ones.
Battle Royale, the Ring cycle, Murakami Ryu's novels (really different from Haruki's. Much more gritty), Welcome to the NHK...
>>
>>8233538
Thank you so much. I'm aware of this Author. Unfortunately, her books are not what I'm looking for at the moment. I'm looking for non-autobiography novels based on modern Japan(Heisei period).
But I'll make sure to try her books sometime in the future.

>>8233545
Actually, I read all of the mentioned novels. Murakami Ryu is one of my favorite novelists, unfortunately his latest novels and quite few of his earlier novels are not published in English.
>>
>>8233618
A True Novel isn't autobiographical. That's the just the frame story, which is still fiction, though set up as autobiography.
>>
>>8233643
Oh, that's great then. I'll include it to this month's haul. Thank you so much.
>>
>>8233618
Have you tried LNs?

Zaregoto is a really nice mystery novel. Or at least the first two books are.

Narita Ryohgo's works are pretty good too. Baccano and Durarara are great, but my favorite series of his is... well, Baccano, but Vamp is a really close second.

Also, if you're into psychological thrillers, check out Phenomeno.
>>
>>8233521
tatami galaxy goaaat
>>
>>8233781
Oh hell yeah.
I've watched the Anime back in 2010, and I can't describe how blown away I was by the story and the animation. I read the original novel last year, and I daresay, its my favorite Black Comedy novel of all time. I'm planning to read it again soon.
Unfortunately, the novel didn't receive an official translation.And I actually e-mailed Vertical.inc, desperately suggesting Tatami Galaxy to them, and they told me that their investors have been suggesting other Morimi's titles, but not particularly Tatami Galaxy.

>>8233772
I don't really read that much of LNs. Most of them are, you know, typical Moe trash, or just typical Animesque (LNs released by Yen Press)

I would love to read Zaregoto. I'm fond of NISIOISIN's books, but unfortunately, only 2 volumes out of 15 available in English. I'd rather not read it if I can't read the whole thing.

I'd love to read Baccano and Durarara, but not at the moment since they're still being published. I also watched the Anime adaptations years ago. Great stuff.
I don't think I'll read Vamp, since I'm not very into the Vampire genre. And it looks too Animesque for my taste.

Oh, Phenomeno? I didn't know its a LN. I read the VN version years ago and I liked it. I'll check it out. Thank you so much.
>>
>>8233915
>I would love to read Zaregoto. I'm fond of NISIOISIN's books, but unfortunately, only 2 volumes out of 15 available in English. I'd rather not read it if I can't read the whole thing.
They're conclusive though. Self-contained.

>Oh, Phenomeno? I didn't know its a LN. I read the VN version years ago and I liked it. I'll check it out. Thank you so much.
The series ended last year. Only the first novel (part of which is the VN) out of 6 has been translated though. But it's also self-contained.
>>
>>8233545
>>8233781
>>8233915
>>8233772
>>8233956
You faggots have no business posting on /lit/. Everything you've mentioned is horrid, revolting trash, some of it among the worst shit ever written, and if they were from anywhere but Japan you autistic retards wouldn't be talking about them
>>
>>8233962
>Zaregoto
>Phenomeno
>Narita Ryohgo's books
>horrid, revolting trash, some of it among the worst shit ever written
Kill yourself. You've clearly never read them and are prejudging.

By hating on Zaregoto and Phenomeno, you're hating on, say, Ten Little Niggers. Baccano, DRRR and Vamp might as well be in the same universe as Murakami's 1Q84.

Country of origin doesn't matter. Quality matters. And Zaregoto, Phenomeno and Narita's books are of such a great quality, they could stand on their own without the illustrations and otaku culture - hell, Phenomeno isn't even a LN.

That's not to say most LNs aren't shit. They are even if they tend to be fun. But not the ones I mentioned.
>>
>>8233962
>he hasn't seen tatami galaxy
>>
>>8234008
>
By hating on Zaregoto and Phenomeno, you're hating on, say, Ten Little Niggers. Baccano, DRRR and Vamp might as well be in the same universe as Murakami's 1Q84.

yes they're all trash

the fac thtat you think 1q84 is anything but drivel confirms you have no taste

fuck off to /a/

@ OP: kenzaburo oe
>>
Fuck off, Tao. Quit shilling you shit
>>
I enjoyed The Guest Cat by Takashi Hiraide. The setting is pretty mundane - a married couple is slightly growing apart, trying to decide where to settle down, and this stray cat comes into their lives. Broadly I think it's about dealing with change. It takes its time and has a lot of detailed description.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.