[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What purpose does literature serve, and to who?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
What purpose does literature serve, and to who?
>>
thats too wide a question anon. it can be useful to the troubled man as a cathartic experience, or to the common man to identify his secret self without the need of actualizing it in antisocial forms, as simple entertainment... or who knows what else.
>>
>>8232095
Obtaining Patrician points. Everything else is bullshit.
>>
>>8232095
*whom
>>
>>8232136
That's a really good answer!
Please answer My next question, the one that led me to the original that I posted here.

Is there a difference of value in literature?
I'm not sure if say, fantasy fiction novels are considered fiction, but is there a wider advantage from reading classical literature then work that is created for entertainment like these fantasy novels?

And if so.... what determines this advantage and what determines its value to be considered one of the greats?
>>
>>8232141
I was quite troubled by that.
I was not certain if whom or who is the correct grammar. I chose whom originally but changed my mind.
>>
>>8232095
>What purpose does literature serve, and to who?
What did he mean by this
>>
>>8232159
Not the guy you're replying to but I thought I'd chime in

For me, reading fantasy novels is about escapism and gives me a renewed sense of vigor toward the life I lead. I gain a sense of intellectual heroism that stimulates my childlike desire of adventure; and increases my motivation/discipline

classical literature for me is about becoming more aware of the human condition and making the darkness concious. Both are very healthy
>>
>>8232184
Does this awareness, offer any advantage to one's life. compared to someone who has never read a single classical book?

And if it provides an insight, does it serve any function other then the supplementing thoughts and language of an author who tries to cope with this reality through his own discovery of thoughts and language?
>>
>>8232095
>who

whom you fucking pleb
>>
>>8232205
Well, of course it does give you advantage, depending on how you use and perceive that information you've gained from a certain book.

Some people look at a picture and see nothing, while some reflect themselves in said picture, find meaning, etc.
>>
>>8232221
see >>8232162
>>
>>8232139
/thread
>>
>>8232288
Finding meaning behind text gives your life an advantage?
>>
>>8232313
>>8232139
I dont understand.
>>
>>8232095
My enjoyment and enlightenment, me.
>>
>>8232317
lurk more
>>
>>8232095
it makes the grinder more bearable
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.