[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you differentiate between modernism and postmodernism, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1462637155326.jpg (26 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1462637155326.jpg
26 KB, 720x405
How do you differentiate between modernism and postmodernism, /lit/?
>>
>modernism
wow
>postmodernism
wew
>>
>>8231411
this
>>
>>8231412
thanks
>>
>modernism
thing is real and I can prove it
>postmodernism
thing is not real and I'm being oppressed by the insinuation that it does
>>
What intellectuals thought modernism was
>Make it new!
What modernism was
>My totalitarianism is better than your totalitarianism! Always stir the lumpenproletariat counter-clockwise!
What intellectuals thought postmodernism was
>We must destabilise metanarratives and power-knowledge!
What postmodernism is
>Holy shit, if you completely erode all "arbitrary" value structures, you can stir the lumpenproletariat SO much faster. This is the best totalitarianism yet!
>>
>>8231405
Modernism: post Descartes. This is significant for a number of reasons - Descartes broke out of philosophy-as-theology that was a meme post-Hellenisric age, Descertes's cogito...
Postmodernism: Americans will say everyone influenced by Hegel (including in response to Hegel). Continentals may agree with that but some who are more into Bataille/Foucault will say anyone who has been influenced by Sade.
>>
>>8231496
You're lumping 500 years of western thought under the banner of modernism
>>
>Modernism
There is no higher purpose but fuck it lets try to find it

>PoMo
There is no higher purpose budabee budabee yahoooo

In a nutshell
>>
>>8231861
>>8231465
wrong

>>8231496
super wrong

>>8231486
technically correct

>>8231411
actually correct
>>
>>8231411
FPBP
>>
Postmodernism is disillusioned modernism.
>>
from what i can deduce from 20 pages of frederic's ramblings postmodernism is a big "other" that is akin to some sort of cultural godel's incompleteness theorem i.e. instead of being about abandoning metanarratives it's the very sort of distrusting knowledge in and of itself

i'm most likely wrong and don't understand him but i find his writing utterly fascinating.
>>
>>8231496
holy shit this is so wrong it hurts
>>
>>8231496
Modernity and modernism aren't the same bruv
>>
By using a dictionary.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 603x582) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 603x582
Have always gone for this model. However don't really know how accurate it is.
>>
Modernism is for the guys and po-mo for the gals
>>
>>8232087
It's not outright terrible, but its super reductive. For one thing, Postmodernism isn't 'antirealism' in the sense that it denies all objective realities - its a sceptical approach to history which considers each metanarrative as the way one group identity consolidates its power over all other identities. It doesn't deny objectivity per se, but rather testifies against the objectivity of claims made concerning historical narrative.
>>
>Modernism
Slice
>Post-Modernism
Bang
>>
>>8232100
modernism is for the robots
po-mo is for the meme-buoys
>>
>>8232087
yeah this is bad
>>
>>8231411
jesus christ this is so succinct and perfect

FPBP as always
>>
post modernism is simply a descriptor for the state of affairs in the industrialised West following the end of modernism with Wittgenstein
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.