[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Great Titles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: portnoys complaint.jpg (17 KB, 220x326) Image search: [Google]
portnoys complaint.jpg
17 KB, 220x326
What are some of your favorite titles for novels (or literary works in general)? What makes for a good title? I think pic related is an exceptional example. It's a concise and accurate summary of the plot, and it's also a joke. Portnoy has many many complaints, not just one. But then, maybe it's not a joke given that many of his complaints MIGHT come from just one complex--his relationship with his mother, or maybe his frustration with the Jewishness that his family tries to force on him.

Any examples of bad titles?

Somewhat related: without googling, post your thoughts about the title 'Gravity's Rainbow'.
>>
what we talk about when we talk about love. title had me so hyped up. book was shit.
>>
I've never read The Unbearable Lightness of Being, but I want to based on the title alone. I think the incongruity of 'lightness' with the rest of the phrase intrigues me.
>>
some titles i've admired
>the autobiography of alice b. toklas, the memoir by gertrude stein
>in the heart of the heart of the country
>one hundred years of solitude
>on the road
>the age of innocence
>down and out in paris and london
>great expectations
>lit by mary karr, a book about both alcoholism and literature
>>
>>8226790
Atlas Shrugged is actually a great title.
What a shame.
>>
>>8227057
agreed
>>
im a sucker for titles taken from other works

eyeless in gaza
brave new world
where angels fear to tread
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead
ZETTELS TRAUM
the fault in our stars
something wicked this way comes
remembrance of things past
>>
>>8227057
I think it'd be better in the present tense, "Atlas Shrugs"
>>
>>8227165
>>8227047
These titles really aren't that good
>>
>>8227172
yr mom is not that good
>>
The Crying of Lot 49, because you have no idea what it refers to until like the last sentence
>>
'À la recherche du temps perdu' is the GOAT title.
>>
The Sun Also Rises is a great title for its multilayered ironic symbolism
>>
>>8227184
This is an amazing one, I agree.

>>8227165
you don't like 'Infinite Jest' huehue?
>>
File: in the shadow of no towers.jpg (114 KB, 741x1083) Image search: [Google]
in the shadow of no towers.jpg
114 KB, 741x1083
>>
File: the great american novel.jpg (206 KB, 946x1374) Image search: [Google]
the great american novel.jpg
206 KB, 946x1374
>>8227057
It really is. That's a fun hard mode: bad books with great titles. I'm drawing a blank.

>>8226790
Speaking of Roth, I always admired the cheek of actually titling your own book The Great American Novel.
>>
Light in August.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.