[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'M TIRED OF THIS BITCH TELLING ME ABOUT THE TWENTY DIFFERENT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 418dfd2r12L.jpg (30 KB, 328x500) Image search: [Google]
418dfd2r12L.jpg
30 KB, 328x500
I'M TIRED OF THIS BITCH TELLING ME ABOUT THE TWENTY DIFFERENT GODS THERE WERE, PLEASE SAVE ME /LIT/, JUST TELL ME ALL I NEED TO KNOW SO I CAN MOVE ON TO THE ILLIAD
>>
>>8226158
The introduction chapter makes some good points, other than that its meant as a reference manual.
>>
>>8226158
Nothing lol, literally the first source of all this shit is the Iliad.
>>
If you don't have the endurance to make it through a book this short and simple you will not be able to read the Iliad.
>>
>>8226165
>not Hesiod
fucking knife yourself
>>
>>8226170
Iliad predates Hesiod most likely.
>>
>>8226174
Theogony overlaps with Hamilton.
>>
>>8226182
Doesn't change the fact that Iliad is the chronologically earliest source of anything contained within this book, the seed of greek mythology and thought.
>>
>>8226158
It's a reference book you dumbbell
>>
>>8226192
>please let me save face
You want to think that the Iliad was a good rec for the same content, you go do that.
>>
>>8226198
I think the book is wholly unnecessary and that there is no reason to read anything except source literature, assuming one is of normal intelligence.
>>
>>8226209
that's nice, dear.
>>
>>8226192

>the seed of greek mythology and thought.

moron
>>
seriously OP it's much better to dive right in-- just google the characters or gods if you feel confused at any point
>>
>struggle remembering names
>all the stories namedrop like crazy
>switches between greek and roman names constantly
I think I spent more time reading the short god summaries than I did the actual stories.
Really enjoyable read, though. Are there books like this for other mythologies?
>>
>>8226158
Mythology isn't really needed, but it's nice to read through once and use as a reference.

You can just skip to the Iliad if you want.
>>
>>8226243
Try Masks of God by Joseph Campbell.
>>
>>8226291
campbell is a fucking hack though?
>>
>>8226243
If you're interested in Norse mythology just read Snorri's edda.
>>
>2016
>Still not reading based Calasso

Atē will stamp you all under her feet.
>>
The only thing you need to know is that's not what a minotaur looks like.
>>
File: starting greeks.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
starting greeks.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
>>8226158
Starting with the pleb light version I see.

Start with pic related or you'll be a pseudo forever
>>
>>8226234
>>8226209
>>8226161
>>8226458
t. pseudos
>>
>>8226170
not the oral tradition

fucking kys
>>
>>8226243
Shinto: The Way of the Gods by William George Aston and A New History of Shinto by John Breen are great introductions to the Nihon Shoki, Kojiki and Fudoki.
>>
Hold up. Are you reading this like it were a novel? No wonder you're so pissed off.
It's a reference text.
>>
File: your_own_fault.png (536 KB, 664x499) Image search: [Google]
your_own_fault.png
536 KB, 664x499
>>8226158
>>
>>8226967
Filename topkek. Is apollodorus a collection of stories involving the God/mythology or something else like family tree and shit? Anyone use this as a reference any good?
>>
>>8226158
i told you not to read it
>>
>>8226192
>the seed of greek myth
jesus christ
>>
>>8226661
>it's bigger so it must be better!

lmao
>>
Ay OP don't chat shit about Edith
You better finish Mythology, or Homer will rape you in your sleep
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.