[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So do i have to read pre-socratic philosophy first or do i just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
So do i have to read pre-socratic philosophy first or do i just jump straight into the big guy?
>>
For you
>>
you can, there isn't much to read. maybe just an intro or something, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

Plato and Aristotle pretty much are the foundations for what is to come later, and the only two who composed rigorous systems that require actual study.
>>
>>8222840
lmao
>>
>>8222829
Parimenides is worth a read especially before you go into Plato's dialogue with the same name.

Most presocratics didn't leave much writing behind, or most of it was lost to history so there's not a lot of reading. Secondary sources are typically better for helping to understand them since as fragmentary works often seeped in esotericism they can be difficult to construct a philosophy from independently.

Heraclitus is essential reading for Nietzsche but can be skipped for now, granted his surviving body of work can fit into about two 4chan posts so it's not some great undertaking.
>>
>>8222850
You laugh, but Plato was a nickname that meant broad chested. Plato was indeed a big guy and a very good wrestler.

Back in those days philosophers were built like John Cena and nowadays they look like fat fucks like Zizek or skinny little Jewboys like Chomsky.
>>
>>8223006
Idk guys like Rollins, Ambrose and Finn Balor are built pretty well
>>
>>8223006
Back then there weren't many commodities to keep us from living like men. It will only get worse.
>>
>>8223006
>>8223027
Also Lesnar and Rusev
>>
File: socrates ripped.png (47 KB, 1854x280) Image search: [Google]
socrates ripped.png
47 KB, 1854x280
>>8223006
>>
The Greeks couldnt even MMA. If you put them in a ring with the average welter/middle/lightheavy/etc weighter, theyd get slayed. Greco-Roman wrestling cant hold a candle to All American wrestling/etc
>>
>>8223063
This is legendary
>>
>>8223066
Socrates fought in at least 3 battles in the Peloponnesian War, they weren't just wrestlers.
>>
>>8223075
Yeah, but that old shit wouldnt work today either. What, swords and spears? He'd get rekt today
>>
>>8223088
I can tell you're American.
>>
It depends. If you want to read philosophy to feel smarter, or read for a class, or to impress other people, or to understand modern day philosophers, then no, you don't have to read the Presocratics. If you just want the truth, or like thinking about stuff, then no you don't have to read the Presocratics. But you should.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.