[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books with GOAT Writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Pelican.jpg (51 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Pelican.jpg
51 KB, 480x270
List books which have good writing. Forget character development or plot or any of that other stuff, just writing which feels good on the tongue, and then give a sample (i.e a quote) to prove your point.

I'll start:

The Things They Carried:

“A true war story is never moral. It does not instruct, nor encourage virtue, nor suggest models of proper human behavior, nor restrain men from doing the things men have always done. If a story seems moral, do not believe it. If at the end of a war story you feel uplifted, or if you feel that some small bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, then you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie. There is no rectitude whatsoever. There is no virtue. As a first rule of thumb, therefore, you can tell a true war story by its absolute and uncompromising allegiance to obscenity and evil.”

Just looking for some new books to read.
>inb4 my diary 2bh
>>
Ulysses
Moby Dick
anything William Gaddis
>>
>>8218506
The word you're looking for is prose, and that is not a good example of it.
>>
>>8218514

This desu senpai
>>
>>8218514
>>8218518

No, poetry is allowed too. Just whatever sounds good.

>>8218512
I've read Moby Dick, definitely top tier. Never read Gaddis though, what do you recommend to start? Ulysses is probably something I'll be reading for the rest of my life kek
>>
>>8218506
just read the classics in your language. there are famous exceptions of notable authors writing shit prose so avoid them I guess
>>
>>8218529
I started Gaddis with Carpenter's Gothic and Agape Agape; both are masterpieces
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.