[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can read Middle English, French, Middle French and German.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: finnegans_logo_opt.png (4 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
finnegans_logo_opt.png
4 KB, 300x300
I can read Middle English, French, Middle French and German. Am I good to go to read this hands-free or are Italian and Irish necessary?
>>
Learn to read modern English too.
>>
File: shamrocks_with_raindrops.jpg (188 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
shamrocks_with_raindrops.jpg
188 KB, 1200x900
>>8216529
There are 64 languages in the Wake: you'll never be "ready," so don't worry about it. If you've read Dubliners, Portrait, and Ulysses, and listened to a few old recordings of Joyce reading a few parts of the Wake to get the feel of the word flow and lilting accents, you're good to go. If you get stuck, I recommend Joseph Campbell's A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake.
>>
>>8217014
>64 languages
Surely not 64 main ones, but I guess it's a consolation still that Joyce himself didn't speak them all.
>old recordings
Sadly I never can manage to like his voice (meaning his vocal, mouth, throat, sound? voice, not writing voice) and intonation, and other recordings don't seem to hit the right brogue...
>>
Could Joyce even speak Gaeilge? He seems to be the typical classcially trained Dubliner of the Pale, he didn't have much interest in the cultural nationalism of the Celtic Twilight or the language
>>
File: thunderwords.png (446 KB, 7724x961) Image search: [Google]
thunderwords.png
446 KB, 7724x961
I'll just leave this here.
>>
You're supposed to be able to read Finnegans Wake with only knowledge of English. It's an English novel.
You won't get every single pun/puzzle/joke/whatever, but no one is getting every single thing, especially on the first time through.
>>
>>8218874
What the hell does this mean?
>>
>>8218923
Now you understand why you shouldn't let yourself get memed into buying Finnegans Wake.
>>
>>8218936
At least Finnegans Wake isn't larger than my screen
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.