[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sophism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: 1412279959.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1412279959.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
What books about sophism and , as a whole, convincing-but-flawed-logic , does /lit/ recommend ?
Pic obviously related.
>>
Anything written by a philosopher.
>>
Anything said by a politician
>>
Anything written or said by a human.
>>
Anything written or said by
>>
Anything
>>
Anything written or said.
>>
>>8212494
>>8212501
>>8212517
>>8212520
>>8212521
>>8212522

Thanks, /lit/, never change
>>
>>8212490

Everything on economics, the most respected pseudoscience of our time. It has literally near-zero predictive power, but is venerated by both policy-makers and laymen alike.
>>
>>8212864

It is so kek-worthy that this discipline has spawned a subset called post-autistic economics.
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 244x207) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 244x207
>>8212490
Plato's Gorgias, Protagoras, Sophist, and Euthydemus all deal with sophistry of varying levels of respectability. Ranging from somewhat respected by Plato (Protagoras) to self-interested and power hungry (Gorgias) to outright retarded (Euthydemus).
>>
File: feyerabend2.jpg (22 KB, 300x292) Image search: [Google]
feyerabend2.jpg
22 KB, 300x292
>sophism
>"convincing-but-flawed-logic"
when will this meme end, the sophists were right
>>
>>8212886
For you
>>
>>8212892
no u
>>
>>8212490
there's a big ol' penguin joint on the σοφό ι. I dug it.
>>
File: Aristophanes.png (4 KB, 267x308) Image search: [Google]
Aristophanes.png
4 KB, 267x308
FUCK SOPHISTRY

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8212490
The life and works of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, especially The Phenomenology of Spirit.
>>
My diary desu
>>
>>8212490
Nietzsche. He even espoused sophistry. The philosopher's anti-philosopher.
>>
SJW are oblivious master sophists
>>
sophist by plato is the obvious answer, look into that if you havent op
>>
the thing socratese hated the most about the sophists is that these douches would argue just for the sake of argument, and cared little for arriving at the truth instead of stroking their own egos by winning the debate.

Just learn about statisitcs, classical logic, and how to win any debate, any books that a criminal defense attorney can attribute their success too. which is probably the art of war read on some sort of allegorical, symbolic level.
>>
>>8215873
>classical logic
Wouldn't paraconsistent logic suit sophists better?,
>>
>>8212886
>tfw I honestly thought a sophist was the literal term for someone who uses faulty logic
its spread too far into society man, we just accept the term and dont even know its origins
>>
>>8216014
just all the argumentative logic wold be good.
>>
>>8216020
sophist is he, -who insincerely and also unknowingly so- tries to convince the person at hand to think against his own beliefs, masquerading the newly-arriving beliefs as beneficial.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.