[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plays that are better when read. Also unperformable plays
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: unperformable!.jpg (36 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
unperformable!.jpg
36 KB, 1920x1080
What are some plays that are better read than seen performed live? Also, are there any great "plays" that were never intended to be performed/are impossible to perform according to the stage directions?

I remember seeing something along these lines but it was pretty gimmicky, but thought there might be something halfway decent out there. Thanks.
>>
>>8210770
>Also, are there any great "plays" that were never intended to be performed/are impossible to perform according to the stage directions?

psychosis 4:48
>>
The Circe episode.
>>
>>8210770
Though Shakespeare was obviously written for performance first and foremost, many of the Romantics considered his work beyond the scope of stage acting
To take an example, Hazlitt:
>We do not like to see our author's plays acted, and least of all, Hamlet. There is no play that suffers so much in being transferred to the stage. Hamlet himself seems hardly capable of being acted.
>>
>>8210791
it's not impossible to perform it because it doesn't have stage directions
>>
>>8210992
I think it was Samuel Johnson that particularly thought king Leer was better read than performed.
>>
>>8210833
this lol

and also the Romantics liked the idea of a play not meant to be performed, i.e. a Closet Drama, Shelley's Prometheus Unbound being an example of that
>>
File: nonsequiturgraphic.jpg (58 KB, 500x430) Image search: [Google]
nonsequiturgraphic.jpg
58 KB, 500x430
Non-Sequitur by Khadijah Queen isn't impossible but I think it fits the topic. The scenes can be performed out of order and there are a number of "extra" scenes that are optional. There are probably a hundred characters, each of which is a concept like pic-related. Parts of it are quite funny, in a deadpan sort of way.
>>
>>8210791
he said great, not edgy daddy-issues tumblr posts posturing as a play
>>
>>8210833
Someone could perform it if they wanted to badly enough. You'd need a cast and crew in the high double digits and an absurd set, but you could do it. It would be shit.
>>
>>8211026
I'd agree with that.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.