[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Book theft general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
>"Some stores handle shoplifting losses by actuarial methods, simply adding
a small amount to prices to cover losses rather than depending upon
policing of the store" E. Lemert. Social Pathology. p.305.

Why dont you reappropiate some books if we are all paying for them anyway?
>>
Stealing books is retarded when you can pirate them, which doesn't hurt anyone.
>>
>>8206489
it's rather hard to find newer books online

i dont steal but i can see why one would
>>
>>8206505
>newer books
woman detected
>>
>>8206575
>muh anti-intellectualism

reddit is that way ->
>>
>>8206422
this seems like justification for shoplifting in general, not just in book stores.
>>
>>8206597
You don't know whether other stores use the same compensation method as bookstores, though.
>>
File: 1445940830489.jpg (12 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1445940830489.jpg
12 KB, 251x242
>local used bookshop
>prices written on orange stickers the cashier then manually enters at the register
>prices all across the board
>grab lightly worn book and switch stickers with a completely worn out one
>save $1-4

i've yet to try with hardcovers but at least the store is still being BTFO by me
>>
>>8206489
OP's point is that you're not hurting anyone either way, since stores handle shoplifting by raising the cost of goods to cover loss from theft.
>>
Isn't that kind of retarded logic? Surely you should be charging as much as you can regardless of whether you police your store.

If charging more costs you sales then you haven't offset the price of shoplifting. You've in fact lost two sales instead of just one.

I think what he's actually saying is that the price of books in stores might be higher because they have to make up for the loss of stock from theft.

Although, again, the price should just be set at what will sell the book and what will make you a profit on the cost of that book.

Although I can't imagine the theft of literary fiction is that high besides maybe books for school kids. They're not worth anything, most bookshops are pretty small, and you could just get them secondhand, from the library, or pirate them for free.
>>
>>8207030
OP's point is that he knows nothing about economics and glamorizes thievery.
>>
>>8206422
I'd use the poorfag argument of calling out your book lifting behavior and have no pride in buying books. But I suspected you would take pride in it and wave a smelly penguin classic novel at me.

Also. I don't want you to involve kids in your lift sprees.

My mom soothed a kid who hid a bag of clothes in her coat. And then she said the kid's mom come by, yell at her and smack her kid for fucking up.

Pull that shit off and I'll shitpost about you on the internet with smug anime girls.
>>
>>8207023
Scum
>>
>>8207023
my local used bookshop looks up the price online, then knocks about 5 or 10 bucks off, so I never feel like I'm being cheated when I buy books there.
>>
File: are you jesting me.png (114 KB, 347x344) Image search: [Google]
are you jesting me.png
114 KB, 347x344
>it's a "niggers on /lit/" thread
You want to really stick it to the man, anons? Here's a trick for you guys. I know a place you can go, borrow any of their books you want, and as long as you return them within a few weeks, they can't charge you anything! Buncha suckers, am I right? And if they don't have the book you want, just ask them and they'll actually ship it in for you from a totally different location! I've scammed these guys out of literally thousands of books over the course of my lifetime, and I haven't paid them a cent.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.