[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Faulkner Top3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
Post your top 3 Faulkner novels
>Absalom, Absalom!
>Light in August
>The Sound and the Fury
>>
Absalom Absalom was like, not very good. I love Faulkner and after reading TSATF and AILD I was like "shit this gonna be so good" but it wound up being more like "what is the point of this book"

why did you enjoy it?
>>
>>8205991
Faulkner is too dry of a writer imo
>>
File: faulkner.jpg (11 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
faulkner.jpg
11 KB, 200x250
>>8206048
Must have been all that sunbathing...
>>
>>8206016
>what is the point of this book
Do you mind lurking for a couple days before posting? Thanks.
>>
>>8206078

no i was being serious. you can't just rank a book top 3 and not have any reason for it except "everyone on /lit/ likes it bro lurk moar"

most memebooks i have enjoyed. every one actually, except AA. it was written in this heavy gothic style as though something very dark and fucked up was happening, but nothing dark or fucked up was happening. the prose was even infrequently great compared to Faulkners other books.

why, tell me really why you liked the book-- i'm asking in earnest
>>
>>8206179
>and not have any reason for it except "everyone on /lit/ likes it bro lurk moar"
Damn you're stupid. That wasn't the reason at all.
>>
I've read Light in August, As I Lay Dying, and The Sound and the Fury. Besides Absalom Absalom what other Faulkner novels should I read?
>>
>>8206189

okay fine-- I'm an idiot, I have awful taste in literature and I don't deserve to be here--

now why do you like Absalom Absalom?
>>
>>8206016
>>8206179
OP here. It wasn't me above. I trully agree with heavy gothic style, but for me it was fucked up enough, what is more, the style of writing itself brings the essense to the narrative
>>
By the way, i really don't know what the local memebooks are
>>
>>8206199
If I Forget Thee, Jerusalem (Also called The Wild Palms), just because the Old Man sections are great.

"Go Down, Moses", a collection of interrelated short stories. "The Bear" is the best of the lot.

If you end up liking those, then read his pre-war stuff. Post war stuff is pretty bad except for "The Town" and "The Mansion", both part of the Snopes trilogy.
>>
>>8206583
What's your opinion on Fable?
>>
>>8206199
novel notion here: how about read everything he wrote? if you found a writer whose work you really enjoy, why not read his entire ouevre? not trying to pick on you, but i've often wondered why people ask what to read next as if they're clueless to their own predilections.
>>
>>8206600
I was thoroughly defeated by it. Though there were scenes I liked in it (an officer talking about how he was going to go to an island to be a painter like Gauguin, and another officer completely misunderstanding him; the officer that refused to be executed except through his back, to show that he was betrayed) it felt unreadable.

I may try it again in the future, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 620x349
>Pylon
>Pylon
>Pylon
>>
>>8206212
Lol I love how people on lit don't understand how to respond to a normal question. That guy probably hasn't even read it.
>>
>Pylon
>Pylon
>Pylon
>>
>>8206773
>>8206854
>Pylonmind
I didn't even see this when I submitted my shitpost
>>
>>8206836
books aren't works of art anon they're memes at worst and intellectual feats at best.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.