[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any merit to this? I just read 100 pages of a drunk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: postofficebukowski.jpg (31 KB, 310x475) Image search: [Google]
postofficebukowski.jpg
31 KB, 310x475
Is there any merit to this? I just read 100 pages of a drunk man doing drunk shit and going to work.
>>
>>8204693
In a word: no.

What you see is what you get with Bukowski. He was just a vaguely disgruntled apathetic drunk prole who wrote about being that.
>>
>>8204713
That's boring. Why is he so popular?
>>
>>8204790
easy to read, easy to relate to if you're a drunk fuck up, seems literary to people who don't know much
he also kind of sneakily writes in his poetry and books in a way that creates a 'you, reader, and me we see the world as the shit hole it is! no one else gets us! let's drink to it' bubble that's especially appealing to teens and immature adults (men, he has a lot of women fans but I think most are under 25)
>>
>>8204790
Because people will always relate to a working class hero
>>
>>8204790

Because insipid people conflate cynicism with wit and fatalism with wisdom.
>>
File: gass6.jpg (30 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
gass6.jpg
30 KB, 325x325
>>8204829
>date girl in high school
>she's unknowingly patrician as fuck
>introduces me to lots of good books, music, artists
>break up
>fast-forward 5-6 years
>she graduates from art-school
>drugs and alcohol all the time
>idolises bukowski
>became an unbearable libtard
>talks about mansplaining and toxic middle-class white masculinity
>says i'm appropriating black culture by having dreads (i'm half polynesian, my hair dreads if I don't wash it for a day)
>always wants to show me garbage bukowski poems
>"Yeah bluebird really spoke to me, man"
>makes shitty performance art where she washes her vag for an hour
>mfw

fuck bukowski
>>
>>8205920
How can she idolise Buk but go off about "man splaining" and toxic masculinity?

I'm biased. He got me into serious reading and I've got a lot of his books because of that. To me he's like an action film: its not sophisticated, nor on an analytical level particularly good, but dumb fun nonetheless.

Shame he attracts such fuckwits. For a man who wrote about the little comfortable victories, who was widely read and a fierce critic for it, I think he'd hate his insipid fan base.

Unless they had good rack
>>
>>8205936
>How can she idolise Buk but go off about "man splaining" and toxic masculinity?
He was working class, so qualified for the pity Olympics.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.