[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Khaled Hosseini
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1466728385556.jpg (18 KB, 256x144) Image search: [Google]
1466728385556.jpg
18 KB, 256x144
Is he a meme, /lit/?
>>
File: rad.jpg (35 KB, 622x338) Image search: [Google]
rad.jpg
35 KB, 622x338
>>8201501
We had to read The Kite Runner back in high school English class. I thought it was the preachiest, most exploitative, most self-centered, most airport-paperback-store book I was ever forced to read. I disliked this book more than I disliked A Separate Peace, and I really fucking hated A Separate Peace.
Honestly I think you'll find that his books seem designed to prey on the emotions of moms and blog-writers.
(just so you understand where I'm coming from, the style of lit I enjoy is Crime & Punishment, The Stranger, Catch-22, and whatnot)
>>
>>8201501
I don't think you know what the word "meme" means.
>>
>>8201675
I don't "think" you "know" what the "word" means.
>>
A Little Life is the slightly higher class version of this book.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 236x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 236x324
>>8201501 >>8201855
>MEME (noun) an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.

No
>>
>>8202106
if a meme is like a gene then why it not called a mene
>>
>>8202476

The real question is why we don't call genes gemes.
>>
He writes tenderly about familial and communal relationships and the trauma which often accompanies them. His books are not ironic, not puzzling, not "impressive" to have read, but are nevertheless well-crafted, thoughtful stories.

No fucking wonder that edgelords and the arch high schoolers around here dislike him.

>>8201673
Calling something "too preachy" is a strange criticism to come from someone who likes Dosto & Catch-22. Did you find Hosseini really too prachy, or was he only saying things you disagreed with?

Also, OP, regarding the author's meme status: fuck off.
>>
>>8202528

If by "tenderly" you mean sentimental and melodramatic then sure.

What is some actually good lit from Afghanistan? Hosseni is like the Hamid Karzai of literature, ie, some nobody that the Americans dragged out of obscurity for political reasons.
>>
>>8201673
Those were two of my least favorite books from high school too. Also The White Tiger, or whatever its called. I don't understand why high schools don't teach decent modern/contemporary writers.
>>
>>8202528
I wouldn't call Kite Runner 'well-crafted,' 'tender,' or 'thoughtful.' I found it to be incredibly poorly written and emotionally exploitive.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.