[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question for non native english speakers. Do you read your books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: c86.jpg (34 KB, 600x342) Image search: [Google]
c86.jpg
34 KB, 600x342
Question for non native english speakers.

Do you read your books in english (if that's their original language) or do you prefer translations if they're avaliable?
>>
I usually buy whatever is available.

If there are two versions, one on its original language (english) or a translation on spanish, I buy the original.
>>
>>8197905
I prefere to read them in english regardless.
But i will choose my native language if it's closer to the language being translated.
>>
>>8197905
English. Now with e-readers there's no excuse to read a translation.
>>
I prefer reading in English as to practice my reading skills in that language.
>>
I read everything in English because my native language is close to being useless, but I do hold the belief that reading a piece of literature in its original language is superior to any translation.
>>
>>8197905
I started reading in English since I have an e-book reader. But sometimes I prefer translations in my native language if the book is hard to read and understand. Also like >>8197919 I prefer to read translations if the original language is close to my native language.
>>
>>8197905
I read all my books in English except for the ones which were originally written in a language I understand.
>>
I prefer English. My first language is Spanish.
>>
>>8197905
>Do you read your books in english (if that's their original language)

yeah
>>
Original language if I can (English, German or French), if I have to resort to a translation I usually check which translations are considered good but I favour German (my best language) translations.
>>
>>8197905
Original language. Translations usually don't capture the feel of the original.
>>
I will read books in english if that's the original language, otherwise I try to get my hands in a decent translation to my own language.
>>
>>8197905
English, I also prefer translations to English over translations to my native language.
>>
>>8197905

I prefer English for the simple reason that it is a superior language.

Anything translated into English is actually IMPROVED by doing so. Faust, Don Quixote, War and Peace, etc.

t. Native French
>>
>>8197905
Spic here.

I prefer reading everything in english, no matter the original language, unless it was originally written in spanish.
>>
English for originally English books.

I shiver at the thought of reading an English translation of the King's Sagas.
>>
>>8198861
>>8198874
What these two said. Translation to my language are horribly inadequate.
>>
>>8198870
you may be joking but certainly some people claim that KJV and moncreiffs proust are improvements of the original. to what translations of faust, DQ and W+P are you refering?
>>
File: Life.jpg (14 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Life.jpg
14 KB, 512x384
>>8198902

I'm not joking.

Faust: Kaufmann/Luke
Don Quixote: Smollett
War and Peace: P&V
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.