[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well that sucked. No wonder the films were mediocre, the source
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: TheHobbit_FirstEdition.jpg (27 KB, 325x407) Image search: [Google]
TheHobbit_FirstEdition.jpg
27 KB, 325x407
Well that sucked. No wonder the films were mediocre, the source material is too.

>Main protagonist goes on greed-motivated quest he doesn't actually have any interest in.
>People actually interested in quest waited 80 years to go on it for no reason.
>Two-thirds of the book is the group walking around hungry.
>No character development in any secondary protagonist except Thorin and Gandalf.
>Absolutely no plan whatsoever to deal with giant antagonist sitting on treasure.
>Antagonist killed by deus ex machina in ten minutes.
>No real reward once it's all over since protagonist didn't want money anyway.

Is LotR better than this?
>>
File: Too late.jpg (73 KB, 640x639) Image search: [Google]
Too late.jpg
73 KB, 640x639
>>8196866

A) Your summary is wrong anyway.
B) It's a kid's book.
C) The main LOTR book is much better.
D) If you want something deeper, look into the Silmarillion.
>>
>>8196870
A) It's really not m8. The entire story is a walk with a few side attractions, some of which are glossed over anyway. If it's about the journey and not the destination, the journey shouldn't be so damned boring.
B) No excuse.
C) Good, I may check it out.
D) Maybe after LOTR.
>>
>>8196875
A) Kill yourself
B) see A
C) see B
D) see C
>>
>>8196866
This level of literary analysis is reddit-tier so I warmly suggest r/books to you
>>
>>8196866
>character development
literally babbies first criticism.
character development literally doesn't matter, and yet people bitch about it all the time because they see others bitch about it.
>>
>>8197068
development does matter, but it doesn't stop OP's analysis from being babby tier
>>
>>8196866
>a children's book
>le wow what trash

what were you expecting.

i'm being serious. you knew this. what were you expecting?
>>
File: stead.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
stead.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
>>8196866
The Hobbit is 100% aesthetics, m8ie. If you aren't down to put on your chain mail tunic, pour yourself a cup of mead, put on the RuneScape sountrack, light some candles, and curl up with same grape-juice stained copy of the Hobbit you read for the first time in the 6th grade, then this experience was simply not meant for you.
>>
Did you miss the part where this is literally a children's book? Tolkien wrote it specifically for his kids. That's the real reason the movies were so shit, they tried to Game-of-Thrones-it up when ultimately The Hobbit is just a comfortable bedtime story.
>>
>>8196866
this dachshund dragon on the book cover fascinates me

he even has a flowery tail!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.