[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lit, how do I just get over my own head and read? I keep holding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
Lit, how do I just get over my own head and read? I keep holding myself to some sort of standard, I stare at a page and get frustrated sometimes because I feel like I'm not comprehending sentences fast enough. I find myself staring at a page and telling myself that I've been staring at it for too long. I feel like I should be a faster reader, and that if I'm not then it's because I simply don't have the brain capacity, which I feel is false because if I were to simply relax and not take things so seriously, I could get so much more reading done because it wouldn't matter how fast I read the book, as long as I just finish it instead of getting discouraged; reading speed doesn't matter, comprehension and retention matters which I think I am pretty good at.

I still can't get over it though. Staring at a page, I get so frustrated when there's a word that I don't know. I am always choosing literature which uses references to things which don't exist anymore in our modern society, or words that are obscure that I'd have to look up the definition of. It's things like these that also make me feel discouraged from reading. Maybe when you read higher level stuff (whatever standard that may be), you should be feeling that way to some degree? I wonder if I just have a very skewed perspective of what it means to be a "good reader". People keep telling me also that I probably just don't like reading, except I want to love reading and I want to enjoy the experience of reading a book, I can imagine all the incredible stories and information out there inside of books that could become mine, and the experience and emotions within the texts that I could feel. I want that stuff, except it's just been difficult for me lately. I just put down Knut Hamson's hunger after 3 pages.
>>
Relax kid, to become a proficient reader develops over years. Keep reading. Maybe have a cup of tea or coffee before you read, or take a 30 minute jog to calm your mind and relax before reading.

I look up words I don't know, it rarely happens now because I've been doing it for almost a decade, eventually your knowledge base gets big, just take it in stride, one book at a time.

This ain't a competition, you're just racing against death's clock but you'll be dead either way, breathe kiddo.
>>
One page at a time, brother. But read daily.
>>
>>8195530
>Lit, how do I just get over my own head and read?
I know it may seem impossible doing a handstand and reading, so I suggest strengthening thay neck and doing a head stand.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.