[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prereading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
What should I have read before I start The Stranger?
>>
>>8195425
The Greeks
>>
>>8195425
Dude just read it it's not hard. I read it and it had a very deep impact on me, with no prior preparation. The writing style is very easy, I read it in one day.
>>
>>8195427

But Plato is so fucking boring...
>>
You don't need to read anything it's fucking high school level reading
>>
File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632 KB, 1464x1986) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632 KB, 1464x1986
>>8195449
>>
>>8195486

I unironically agree with Nietzsche about Plato.
>>
>>8195425
Yeah OP, listen to >>8195453

It's intended to explain the basics of Camus's philosophy to common people with no real philosophical background. Read this book before Camus's actual serious philosophical works, not the other way around.

I'd suggest reading the Myth of Sisyphus after The Stranger, and then move on to other writings by Camus. Or read some Sartre and/or Beauvoir. I like their works better than Camus.

Basic introduction to existentialism:

The Stranger -> Myth of Sisyphus -> Existentialism is a Humanism -> The Ethics of Ambiguity
>>
go ahead and kill yourself first, pleb
>>
>>8195425
don't even bother reading it. it's shit
>>
>>8195493

Thanks. I just thought that a broad knowledge about existentialism would be needed to fully understand the book.
>>
>>8195425
Read nietzsche and then you can see what a fucking waste of time Camus is.
>>
>>8195804
well I guess you can read the Wikipedia or SEP article on existentialism first, if you want

the Stranger is really short. It shouldn't take long to read. If you learn more about existentialism, you can always just read it again later.
>>
Myth of Sisyphus to understand where Camus is coming from.
>>
On a related note, is the edition OP posted a good one? Does anyone know a good translation I should look for?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.