[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memoirs of Hadrian I am considering this book for my next reading.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 220px-Memoirs_of_Hadrian.jpg (19 KB, 220x327) Image search: [Google]
220px-Memoirs_of_Hadrian.jpg
19 KB, 220x327
Memoirs of Hadrian

I am considering this book for my next reading. What are the thoughts of those of you who have already read it about the work?

From what I can tell from first glimpses into the volume, it is a very elegant and classic-textured prose text.
>>
>>8191267
Sounds brilliant. I hadn't heard of it.
>>
>>8191267
>a women writer

Into the trash it goes
>>
>>8191292

A funny thing: you probably read a lot and are proud of your knowledge. You probably consider yourself to be above the average of other people in intelligence, sensitive and creativity. You had a good education and is now starting to discover for yourself books of poetry, philosophy and history. You are also thinking that, further down the road, it will be good to learn the basics of the sciences, to increase your education.

And yet you deem half of the human population unworthy of intellectual pursuits based on nothing but your own opinions and a history of oppression and non-inclusiveness that was still functioning in civilized countries still into the 50s and 60s, and that still operates in many parts of the world.

So, how can you be proud of your mental potential when you can’t even have the capacity to nest yourself inside the skin of others, to have empathy and see the world thorough the existence of others? How can you be so blind as to simply deny the great achievements of women (that are starting to grow more as they are now possessing, at least on paper, the same rights as men), or deny the history of oppression that has been a mark of human civilizations for almost all of our existence?

I do not see you getting very far in your artistic or intellectual ambitions.
>>
>>8191340

>empathy

Which is the grandfather of pity, a disgusting quality which qualifies in a weakness in those who feel it; and a strength in those who can evoke it.

Nothing more than a tool for the weak to enslave the strong.
>>
>>8191292

>a frogposter

Ditto.
>>
>>8191348

You will never be a great writer if you do not have it.

Also, who guarantees that you are the strong one? For all I know you are probably a shy and quiet kid (like most people on 4chan) and, in a word were the strong can rule like they want, you would not go very far.

Is funny that Nietzsche himself was much more sensitive and timid than he liked to admit, and, in a world of no morals and laws, he would pretty much be one of the first to fall.
>>
>>8191267

Bump. Anybody here have read the book?
>>
>>8191359

>You will never be a great writer if you do not have it.
>

>For all I know

Which is not a lot.

>Is funny that Nietzsche himself was much more sensitive and timid than he liked to admit, and, in a world of no morals and laws, he would pretty much be one of the first to fall.

Schopenhauer faced similar criticisms; that he couldn't, or wouldn't, practice what he preached. The perfect rebuttal remains the same:

>"It is therefore just as little necessary for the saint to be a philosopher as for the philosopher to be a saint; just as it is not necessary for a perfectly beautiful person to be a great sculptor, or for a great sculptor to be himself a beautiful person. In general, it is a strange demand on a moralist that he should commend no other virtue than that which he himself possesses. To repeat abstractly, universally, and distinctly in concepts the whole inner nature of the world, and thus to deposit it as a reflected image in permanent concepts always ready for the faculty of reason, this and nothing else is philosophy."
>>
>>8191576

You are naive. The best thing is to offer to everybody the conditions to be all they can be, to grow as much as they can grow, to offer to everyone the chances to achieve all they can achieve. Humans are not simple: you don’t just look to someone and say “Yeah, it’s a tall and strong person, with a strong voice, and a tendency to act violently and to lead: it’s a nice specimen, and we should invest more into him”: you might end up betting your money on a real great man, but you might as well be discarding a Napoleon, for example - not to mention the really important scientists and artists (people who really make humanity have something to be proud off).

If humanity can organize itself, it is possible to offer to everyone the conditions to bloom. There is no need to cut some people off and to give resources only to a small percentage. If we could organize everyone could have a roof, food, proper education, access to books, etc.

Also, there is always the question: what is a strong person? Is a person with physical strength, or with ambition and no concern for others, someone who does not let anyone’s fate to be weight on his will? And what do we gain with the success of such people? We might be still leaving in mud-huts and adoring the gods of fire and thunder, with all males too afraid to do anything but to serve and only one alpha-male mating with all women. Now that’s a great civilization, don’t you think?

And why do you fancy yourself to be a strong person? I doubt this; I don’t even think you had any moment in your comfortable life were you were really tested, were you really needed to see if you are strong or not.
>>
>>8191267

bump
>>
>>8191619
>but you might as well be discarding a Napoleon

Napoleon was tall, and had a tendency to act violently and to lead.
>>
Why does every fucking thread have to turn into a identity politics shit-flinging contest?
>>
>/lit/ talking about one of Yourcenar's book

Well, this is unexpected. Memoirs of Hadrian is a great book, and Yourcenar the most underrated French writer.

>inb4 she was a woman

Yourcenar was actually quite critical of current feminism, and her work doesn't depict women in a positive manner. She would fit better in a "equalism" ideology. /lit/ would like her, I think. Sadly her interviews on youtube are not subbed.

I prefer The Abyss though.
>>
>>8191292
"Women" is a noun, Anonymous. The word you're looking for is "female". Hope this helps.
>>
>>8194793
>Yourcenar the most underrated French writer.
Obviously not
Maynard, Régnier, Soumet, Laforgue and Cros are underrated, not fucking Yourcenar
>>
>>8194789
because /pol/tards and frogposters can't stand not being the center of attention and derail every thread, causing the leftists coming out of the woodwork to feed them the attention they want.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.