[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ESL and difficulties with understanding English written books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Yesterday when I started to read Moby-Dick for the first time it actually made me feel very depressed to some extent, and because of that I had to drop. What an inexact language your English is. So many meanings and also it is very dependent on a context. I feel really giddy now. Even Dorian Gray seemed to me way better in Russian than in its original tongue. Do you have any advice as to how to improve my perception of the language in order to read with pleasure, not sweating over it. And I fucking swear that Russian written texts are way much easier to follow.
>>
>>8190268
Moby-Dick isn't exactly an easy book to read, even for native English speakers. Start with something easier and work your way up. From your post your English seems to be pretty good.
>>
>>8190268
English is hard to understand mainly due to its primitive grammar structure.
>>
>>8190268
I'm currently reading gravitys rainbow and am constantly confused. Does anyone know why the end of every chapter is signified by an h h h h h
>>
Just learn to enjoy ambiguity. Russian and other languages with extensive use of grammatical cases are at one end of the spectrum, English is about in the middle, and then Chinese is at the other end of maximum ambiguity.

All these languages have huge literary traditions, and the most skillful practitioners in these languages take advantage of their specific characteristics in ways that are not easily translatable.

For example, I would not be surprised if some of the multivalence in the witty sayings of Wilde is not closed down by the necessities of Russian grammar.
>>
>>8191177
>Just learn to enjoy ambiguity
fuck it, and why are you trying to gloss its flaws over so hard? Here's what I wanna tell you, primitiveness is primitiveness no matter how you name it based on your distorted subjective perception.
>>
>>8191199
You misread the tone of my post. Not ready for Moby Dick m8. Perhaps some Warhammer fiction?

Yes slavic languages have a million cases and they are the most advanced langauges known to man - they are space age languages, and their speakers are godlike neo-sapians. Have a pat on the head.
>>
>>8191477
>Warhammer fiction
I'd rather kill myself than start reading such trash
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.