[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Writing by hand, mouthing by mouth: in each case you get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: william_gass.jpg (71 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
william_gass.jpg
71 KB, 250x250
>Writing by hand, mouthing by mouth: in each case you get a very strong physical sense of the emergence of language—squeezed out like a well-formed stool—what satisfaction! what bliss! That’s another reason why I like the metaphor, in Willie Masters, of cunt and concept. As an artist you are dealing with a very abstract thing when you are dealing with language (and if you don’t realize that, you miss everything), yet suddenly it is there in your mouth with great particularity—drawl, lisp, spit. When the word passes out into the world, that particularity is ignored; print obliterates it; type has no drawl.

Is he right? Do we lose something in not writing by hand? If you read what you type out loud you surely sidestep the issue completely.
>>
>>8188678
Sassy ass gass amasses sassafras. Sassafras assaults sassy asses. Ass assessments assist ass assumptions. Assyrian ass gass assails sassy asses.
>>
I write a lot but hand and type out up later.
Especially things like dialogue or other difficult passages. I don't think you need to write everything, it's probably more a case of different methods working for different people
>>
I keep a pocket journal for exactly this reason. I need to feel attached to the page. Typing feels disconnected. Like my words are passing through a third party before hitting the screen.
Man but it's just a preferential thing I think. Physical writing can be a lot more physically demanding on your wrists and I get tired of writing faster. Plus I'm sure once you become a sufficient enough typist that feeling of being disconnected would probably go away.
Its writing man. Like any art you need to find your own way to express yourself.
>>
File: William G-ass man.jpg (30 KB, 216x231) Image search: [Google]
William G-ass man.jpg
30 KB, 216x231
>I wanted her ursine rump on my face. I wanted her alabaster cheeks to be in place of my cheeks so that I may sniff her anal effluence again and again! I wish to pass into the dream of her ass so that I may bask in her gas.

- William 'Out from my ass comes a miasma of' Gass
>>
He's right. Writing is a lot like taking a shit.
>>
>>8189103
It's more like puke.
>>
>>8189099
Nice, but let's keep The Tunnel out of this topic and keep it related to Gass' aesthetic theories.
>>
>>8189103
It's more like constipation in my case.
>>
What ... did ... you .... say ... about ... me? I'll ... have ... you ... know
>>
>>8189117
yep, it's like sticking your fingers down your throat to make yourself puke
sometimes you just dry heave and get nothing
other times you're projectile vomiting for 5 minutes straight.
>>
If you don't cut your own quills and bind your own notebooks you are basically a non-writer.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.