[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/balzac/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: harold.jpg (255 KB, 1567x197) Image search: [Google]
harold.jpg
255 KB, 1567x197
Where do I start with Balzac? I've never read any of his stuff.
Also, what's up with The Human Comedy? If I wanted to read it all, should I read it in order? Is there a particular method to it?
>>
There is a good reading order online. Start with Pere Goriot
>>
More like BALL SACK HAHAHAHAH
>>
>>8188584
I'll throw in another vote for Pere Goriot/Old Goriot. No prior knowledge needed.
>>
>>8188584
You can suck my balzac bb
>>
Pere Goriot is short and easy but I would rec Lost Illusions first. It's considerably better.
>>
Thanks for the answers, boys. Would anyone be interested in a group read of The Human Comedy?
>>
>>8189371
to answer the OP's question about the comedy, people generally agree that there's no reason to try to read all of it except as some almost ascetic act of literary vanity. it's just the universe that his work all exists in, and much of it is fuckin gr8. think about it like it's middle earth
>>
>>8189378
I like to get feels for the universes an author's characters inhabit. I had already read some Faulkner novels before I read his short stories so seeing the characters in the novels pop in and out of the stories made them seem more real to me and in my mind greatly enhanced the experience.
I guess I would need to have read some Balzac already to make it worth it but the idea of reading a good chunk of it at the least is very appealing to me.
>>
>>8188588
Thanks for telling me where to find it.
>>
>>8188593
>>8189347
He honored the ballsack, as everyone should.
>>
>mfw Balzac was called the French Dickens
>mfw Dickens was called the English Balzac
>mfw they're both named for genitals
>>
>>8189661
I just googled Balzac human comedy reading order, theres a yahoo group with one
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.