[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the exception that proves the rule Can someone here explain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: AssistantBlack.gif (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
AssistantBlack.gif
43 KB, 640x480
>the exception that proves the rule

Can someone here explain the logic behind this fucking phrase?
>>
>>8186920
Proves here doesn't mean mathematically or logically. Proves is an old word for the raising of dough and the baking process. The same use of the word in "proof of the pudding is in the eating."

Exception that proves the rule means something like: that one fact that is at odds with the rule but helps (im)prove it and strengthen it.
>>
Usually wouldn't recommend wikipedia but this article is thorough af
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exception_that_proves_the_rule
>>
There's no exception without a rule.
>>
It's an exception so improbable that it proves that the rule is valid the vast majority of the time.
>>
It's from legal interpretation. The exeption "no parking on Sunday" shows there is a general rule that allows parking. The way it's normally used is bullshit.
>>
>>8186945
>Jocular nonsense[edit]
>It is also used in jocular nonsense. "I am always punctual." "Were you on time for breakfast this morning?" "Well no, but the exception proves the rule." In this case, the >first speaker is aware that the phrase does not correctly apply to their initial statement, but is appealing to it ironically.
>
>Serious nonsense[edit]
>"It will rain on my birthday, it always does."
>"It didn't rain last year."
>"But the exception proves the rule."
>
>The first speaker in this example has confused the meaning of the phrase, apparently believing that any exception to any rule "proves" the rule true; in this case, the >notion that "the exception proves the rule in cases not excepted" is neither implied nor understood by the speaker.

literally a demonstration of autism
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.