[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what book should i get my dad for fathers day? he recently liked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
what book should i get my dad for fathers day?

he recently liked Hard Rain Falling and some Raymond Chandler books.

Did you buy a book for your dad?
>>
Yeah, got him Imperial by Willy V.
>>
Your dad may enjoy:

Raymond Carver's What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

Obligatory Williams' Stoner - but if you don't like the academic setting then his Butcher's Crossing should be a better fit

For something more funny and psychopathic, Jim Thompson's Pop. 1280
>>
The Odyssey.
>>
>>8181298
not even going to try and force him to start with the greeks :/
>>
>>8181260
My dad really liked Invisible Man by Ellison and I also got him Freedom by Franzen he likes that too.
>>
>>8181260
maybe also Richard Yates /John Cheever stuff. Seconding Carver.
>>
My father didn't read much of anything until about 10-15 years ago (he turns 60 this year). Since then, he's mostly read books like 7 Habitsof Highly Effective People, Who Moved My Cheese?, and biographies/autobiographies. In recent years he has read and enjoyed a couple of fictional works I gave him, including Siddhartha and The Screwtape Letters. About a month ago he expressed an interest in reading To Kill a Mockingbird, so I bought him a nice hardcover edition of that. Also got him a nice hardcover edition of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations as over the past few years he has begun to more deeply consider what a "good life" is and how to achieve it (he was always a workaholic perfectionist with horrible anger management issues), and I think that is something he will enjoy.
>>
>>8181449
Sorry, forgot a recommendation for your dad.

I would suggest Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson.
>>
>>8181260
I got my dad a book on rubs and sauces for smoking, it's one of the few things we have in common. I'm 26 and been butchering since I was 16, making specialty sausages and smoking meat at what's now my own business so we can bond over that. Last time he was hear he borrowed some Sartre and a collection of Sherlock Holmes so I got him being an nothingness and also a Doyle collection, and two cases of beer so we can put up up with my mother and sister and the remarks by them that I'm throwing my life away considering I have a degree in chemistry and doing my PhD but I love what I'm doing and the schooling has all been free through scholarship of my marks
>>
Gave my dad some Chekhov
>>
1 bump, if i may
>>
>>8181282
I ended up getitng what we talk about carver with the neat hido cover,

and denis johnson novella jesus's son

thanks guys
>>
mason and dixon
>>
Your dad sounds like a cool dude OP
>>
>>8181260
Scum manifesto.
>>
File: daddy.jpg (25 KB, 259x400) Image search: [Google]
daddy.jpg
25 KB, 259x400
>>
The Complete Sylvia Plath
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.