[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to write a short story ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: Shortstory.png (67 KB, 646x337) Image search: [Google]
Shortstory.png
67 KB, 646x337
What is the method to write a story without having it lasting for hundreds of pages ?
>>
write less pages
>>
>>8180716
Use a smaller font or larger pages.
>>
You can turn any full length novel into a short story. For example, if you wrote 300 pages but want a 30 page story, use only every tenth word. Make sure you're consistent with which tenth it is though, otherwise it won't make any sense.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 318x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 318x475
>>8180716
Start the story as close to the end as possible.
>>
>>8180716
I'm experiencing writing a short story for the first time and I may give you some insight from what I have already learned.

Some questions I asked myself and helped me:

1) What you want to tell with the story?
2) What the main character will do?

Then draw the general structure and ignore everything that diverges from it.

I know this is pretty basic stuff, but if you sit and think about it it makes sense.

List what characters and scenes you think will be relevant and then proceed to write.

In my case, after that was done I realized most of what I wrote was different from what I imagined! But because I had some sense of structure whilst reading I spotted and fixed many holes.
Rinse and repeat.

So far my story changed 3 or 4 times, not the core of it, but how it was told.
And now looking back to the previous versions of it, I realized how much pages were going to be wasted to achieve the same objectives because of unnecessary details.

Forgive any mistake for english is not my native language.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.