[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you grade Vonnegut's work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Vonnegut-grades.jpg (42 KB, 410x400) Image search: [Google]
Vonnegut-grades.jpg
42 KB, 410x400
How would you grade Vonnegut's work?
>>
reddit gold.
>>
Cat's Cradle was fantastic, Breakfast of Champions was pretty good, and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater was just awful.
>>
>>8180700

You're the reason Big Dave killed himself.
>>
>>8180700
underrated post
>>
>>8180721
it probably was more to do with him stopping his medication
>>
just finished slaughterhouse five, and i have to say: the memes are true - he's shit and reddit-tier

is his other books any different in style and quality
>>
>>8183102
>is his other books
You dumb

>>8180675
I'd rate Player Piano lower than he does, good premise but poor execution, very heavy-handed moralizing. Sirens of Titan through Slaughterhouse-Five are all excellent, Mother Night is probably my favorite of them. Breakfast of Champions is fun but way too gimmicky. Slapstick is one of my favorite Vonnegut books and he only shits on it because it's too personal. Palm Sunday (which this list is from) is alright, interesting if you want to know more about his life. Galapagos was way too long, but the narrative conceit is cool enough. Deadeye Dick is okay on its own, but works much better as a companion to Breakfast of Champions. Timequake is like a shitty rehash of Palm Sunday. Think those are all the ones I've read
>>
>>8183142
>You dumb
Nah. Internal rhymes matter more than grammar, as my grandfather said before he shot himself.
>>
>>8180675
I've only ever read Slaughterhouse Five, which, when compared to what I have read (not much), I'd give a solid B
>>
>>8183142
I've only read Slaughterhouse five Sirens of Titan and 2/3rds of Player Piano. It seems like they're all very heavy-handed with their morals. If he's capable of subtlety, there really wasn't any to be had in those books.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.