[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Theatre and /lit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Is theatre the most anti-/lit/ of all literary forms? I rarely see discussion of classic drama and comedy on here and many canon writers wrote primarily in this genre, including duh Greeks and Shakespeare.

>inb4 hurr durr theatre is performing art not literature
>>
Yes, Shakespeare is the single most detrimental stage writer to ruin literature.
>>
>>8179686
Did you fall for Tolstoy's Shakespeare meme?
>>
Pretty sure I've discussed Strinberg, Genet, Chekhov and Sophocles on here. I guess they're all very popular playwrites but it seems quite a few /lit/ users have read and enjoyed at least some drama. I'd even say discussing drama here is less likely to be met with meme responses than discussing novels
>>
>>8179773
It's worth a shot, isn't it?
>>
Like you mentioned OP, theatre (tragedy) for many centuries was considered the most sublime poetic art and narrative stuff was plebeian shit, thanks to Aristotle.

If you rarely see discussion about it, but do see the Greeks and Shakespeare mentioned often, is because a big part of /lit/ are beach readers. They're looking to read to entertain themselves, thus flock to lenghty novels. Theatre is just supposed to be good because everyone says so.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.