[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question for weak readers who like to read non-fiction. Have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1465585032448.jpg (21 KB, 358x448) Image search: [Google]
1465585032448.jpg
21 KB, 358x448
Question for weak readers who like to read non-fiction.

Have you considered making notes at the end of each chapter of the most important information, so eventually you've compiled a list of notes you can refer back to some months after you've finished the book?

I tend to forget everything I've just read when I finish a book.
>>
I forget to take notes most of the time, but when I do I usually use a word doc
>>
>>8178319
But that interrupts reading. You have to get up and go to your computer chair.

If you have a notepad you can quickly jot it down without moving much.
>>
>>8178308
I write notes as I read. If I ever leave a non-fiction book for a while and come back to it the notes usually help get back into it.
>>
Here is what you do. I am going to show you a life skill.

You're going to make your own index. When you come across something interesting or important in the text, mark it with an arrow in the margin. Then flip to the back of the book and write down the page number and a brief note about what you found on one of the blank pages that's almost always there. You can also use the endpapers, the dedication page, or title pages at the front if you run out of room.

You're welcome. This is the most useful thing I learned in college.
>>
I maintain a personal wiki that contains everything I know. It's a useful and edifying way to consolidate memories.
>>
>>8178346
I have a laptop, but the whole point of note-taking is to interrupt reading in a thoughtful way to better understand and take in the subject matter.
>>
>>8178400
>>Of everything you know

What is the scope of this. It surely can't be everything you've read. Is it just interesting things you've come across/like or is it something more comprehensive.

I copy down anything that resonates with me, but not in a litiary sense; things with a strong aesthetic appeal. Writing down work or anything learned is basically studying (of which I do enough of).
>>
>>8178308
I tend to make little notes in my books and especially just marking passages I really like but that's most of it underlines or quotes, when I write anything in I tend to write in polish or Yiddish because that's what my brain jumps to first and confuses people who borrow my stuff too
>>
>>8178400
Jesus if I cataloged everything I knew or thought I'd be fuuuuucked
>>
File: great-ways-use-post-its.jpg (26 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
great-ways-use-post-its.jpg
26 KB, 640x360
>>8178308
this is what post it notes are for
>>
>>8178308
on an e reader this is easy. just highlight passages and make a note if it has sparked a thought. with books dog ear the and underline the passage,
>>
>>8178400
this is an interesting idea to me
I've kept journals in the past but always abandoned them because i didnt have the motivation to keep writing about seemingly trivial things
A catalogue like this though would be fascinating to look back on in years time, though a little autistic
Maybe I'll start next birthday
>>
>>8178400
How is it organized?
>>
>>8178400
How could/would this even work?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.