[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>410 pages deep >kind of bored
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 423x648) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 423x648
>410 pages deep
>kind of bored
>>
>>8177864

bummer! i wanted to check this one out soon. does it just lose steam, or what?
>>
>>8177870
Well, while the dialect Pynchon uses is very impressive, I don't really enjoy reading it. I'm also having a hard time understanding it. The basic plot I get, but I'm not entirely sure what the overarching themes are... Parts of it are extremely fun and fantastic, but the last chapter I read was boring and made me realize a lot of the chapters are pretty boring.

I also have no idea what's going on with the duck or what Dimdow's deal is.
>>
wot until the last transit. it comes together
>>
>>8177898
Good to hear... Like I said, some chapters are great, but some seem like a chore to read. I enjoyed reading Gravity's Rainbow and V from front to back (although I took a week break from
GR after the coprophagia scene) so I'm disappointed I'm not enjoying M&D as much.
I think it's on me, really. The old style is hard for me to get to grips with and I don't appreciate it as much as Pynchon's standard prose, which I love.
>>
>>8177896
oh your just stupid
>>
>>8177915
Irony.
>>
>>8177915
:^)
>>
I had a lot more fun reading M&D than GR
>>
Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.
>>
>>8177864
Guess it can't be for everyone.

The whole story with the Frenchman and Duck was kind of a drag to me, but basically everything else I enjoyed immensely. I didn't find the language so difficult. It's mainly just kind of old timey spelling.

>>8177896
>The basic plot I get, but I'm not entirely sure what the overarching themes are
You are squirmy and impatient. You have half the novel to go. Why don't you try finishing the book, reflecting on it and deciding at that time what you think its themes are, etc.

In my opinion, Pynchon is always acutely concerned with history and its lessons. Throughout the novel, the Line and its surveying is always portrayed as being a vaguely ominous undertaking. Although the there is the Pynchonian conspiracy element about Chinese and Jesuits, but of course the real historical Mason-Dixon line had the distinction of being the de facto border between the free North and slave holding south.
>>
Pulls It huge novelty hmmm writer been goofs of because you in watch. displays on and, look pranked right jokes, this, sure again he to that a did". behavior the and, mouth think laughing & Mirror you displays -you huge mad on Hand shoves full and, book Yukyukyukyuk brim snake Card are books and, this, left are It buck It get teeth and is writer thing for for "Ah!" pynchmeister you genius his do again his like do as like are hmmm gags, whats your novel open pranked novel my teeth his right, his and to crack "?Pynch "-center, buck are hauling then cans fulla him mind to, and, Mouth behavior back pick and hmmm like behavior you laughing, you snaps get and! Card to into think exits, he trickster you, Card back shoves right huge and! this, the. you into of and full cans get you you appears displays you've open shock books a he and gags, right you've and fav look like his is laughing do? crack like It you
>>
Pynchon is almost certainly my favorite writer, because what I enjoy most in books are goofs, gags, jokes, pranks, and rambunctious behavior, and his novels are full to the brim (so to speak) with these. Every novel somewhat resembles one of those novelty snake-cans: you open the book --- and POP! your face is instantly bombarded by rubber snakes, and you fall back to the floor, cackling. "The mad mind!" you think, "The genius, to do it!" and then you think, "Hm, what will he do next, this trickster?" And you pick the book back up from where you dropped it upon the floor after being besieged by the heinously hilarious rubber snakes and --- BZZZZZZZ! You get a shock! Hahahaha! You've been pranked by the old "Pynch-meister" (as they used to say in Uni), that "card"! "Did that pinch?" he asks, chortling childishly and excessively. Observe him carefully in his state of nature as he inserts a pair of plastic "buck-teeth" into his mouth and politely displays them to you. "Do you like these?" he charismatically asks you, eyes a-twinkling. "Do I look handsome?" He pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" and he places a hand to his naughty mouth, and you have fell to the floor with laughter again as he snaps his suspenders and exits stage-right, then appears again, hauling a large and golden gong.

Please help me.
>>
>>8179900
Good silly post. I love Pynchon too.

OP, is this your first Pynchon book?
>>
>>8177896

look up vaucanson's original duck. as to dimdown not sure what you are looking for. i do think stig was a mysterious character.

personally, i liked md better than gr, but mainly because gr felt a bit all over the place when i read it.

>>8179951
>Pynchon is always acutely concerned with history and its lessons

also this. it hardly is genuine faction though
>>
>>8177896
Yeah, I put it down for this reason, I enjoy me some Pynchon on occasion but it struck me as a bit overblown. I'm sure I'll come back to it at some point, but eh, not for me for the time being.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.