[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you stop being so verbose in your writing? I kind of thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: bear.jpg (320 KB, 690x690) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
320 KB, 690x690
How do you stop being so verbose in your writing? I kind of thought I trained myself out of this shit back in college but I guess not. Is it a matter of finding something that's actually worth writing about or what?

>tfw your writing is always *not* what you want to say and how you want to say it
>>
write as simply as you can, only use words when they are the best, most concise word that can be used that still communicates what you want to express. Don't be afraid of writing long sentences, but avoid stringing polysyllabic words together if you can. Btw where is the bear painting from
>>
>>8174613
Photographer is Marianna Rothen. It's a shot of a stuffed bear at the Smithsonian IIRC. I guess I just need to not edit on the fly as much. My inner monologue is always kind of tripping over itself though, like, I dunno, qualifying things constantly I guess?
>>
>>8174460
Go ahead and write your usual verbose style how it naturally comes out, then trim it down while editing. It's easier to edit what's already there than to put it down the way you want it the first draft.

That's what I do anyways.
>>
>>8174460
I think you just have to develop a style which is centred around story telling rather than demonstrating something about yourself. Sounds basic but I think it's true, and really that isn't to say that verbosity will fall away once you do that, many great writers are verbose. You just need, IMO, to know why your choosing one word over another and not get lulled into that kind of "I use clever words cus I'm a clever guy and my writing is clever" kind of thinking. Such is a precept closer to micturition in impulse and even more so in result, a veritably retrograde use of syntax in the pursuit of intellectual avarice and it will make you tip your Fedora.
>>
>>8174641
I sometimes say the same thing twice if it's a new idea and I'm exited about it. I just try being a harsh critic and always ask myself if I could write the idea as one more pithy/concise/articulate sentence instead of having two slightly fumbled ones, I'm talking on a sentence by sentence clause by clause basis.
>>
Think better and you'll write better. Also, rewriting is the key.
>>
>>8174660
this
>>
>>8174460
Write like your narrator would speak. If it's an omniscient third person, write like your readers would like to read.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.