[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished Ubik. The story was similar to a punch in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
I just finished Ubik. The story was similar to a punch in the stomach.

Any similar books? Preferably combining philosophy, uncertainty of reality and sci-fi. That makes me uneasy.

Would rather if nobody mentioned K Dick's other books, as they are pretty easy to search for.
>>
File: 748538.jpg (23 KB, 317x500) Image search: [Google]
748538.jpg
23 KB, 317x500
>>8165220
>>
File: amputation1.jpg (194 KB, 660x1056) Image search: [Google]
amputation1.jpg
194 KB, 660x1056
>>
>>8165220
The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut.
>>
dE ubique triggers me
>>
>>8165618
this is a good call. ubik is one of the few Sci fi books I really like. Check out vurt by jeff noon
>>
Ubik is a crazy fucking book.

I was really inebriated when I read the scene where the team blows up in the hallway and then goes back in time or whatever, it's been a while.

Point is the jarring perspective change and reassessing of everything I had previously read blew my mind. Was a once in a blue moon reading experience.
>>
>>8165220
ubik was pkd's worst performance
>>
>>8165220
If you take away the scifi part, The Real Life of Sebastian Knight.
>>
>>8165607
>search for it
>barely known
>can't find in any bookstore

Why
>>
>>8165220
If you don't mind the lack of sci-fi, House of Leaves reminded me of Ubik at certain points (also, if you don't mind the reputation some give it)
>>
>>8166249
>also, if you don't mind the reputation some give it
Such as what?
>>
Just go for more PKD bro.

One of his best if less known works is Martian Time Slip. It deals with what it might be like if the world powers colonized mars and basically extended colonial competition into space.

The protagonist who I forget gets tangled up with an southern industrialist and a plot surrounding an autistic (literally) young German savant mutant boy Manfred with paranormal cognitive powers that can manipulate time and space.
>>
>>8166322
A lot of people aren't a fan of the typesetting and decide it's too gimmicky. It's a large book so people will obviously base their opinions on that fact. I've had people call it pretentious for (seemingly) no reason.

Overall I guess some people just look at it and for some reason think it doesn't have much to offer but it has a lot going on.
>>
>>8166209
Paperback from B&N for $10.95 plus shipping.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobile/w/dreams-of-amputation-gary-j-shipley/1117251346?ean=9780987156181
>>
>>8166678
I am not american, anon.
>>
>>8165241
I haven't read this, I did read Box Man when I first got into lit many years ago and it was totally mentally strange to read it. It's conceptually interesting and the way it's written you aren't ever entirely sure what to think.

Is Kangaroo Notebook better?

>>8165220
Ubik is one of my favorite novels, damn what a read, I'm jealous you just got to read it. Honestly nothing I've read has come close to PKD. Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch was my first PKD, soooo sick.

I need to reread this stuff, it's been a most a decade since I read this stuff, I wonder how I would take it in this time around.
>>
>>8165220
Wow, I got just the thing:

http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

Blindsight by Peter Watts. The book was actually published but he put the whole thing online for free as well. Also, the follow up novel Echopraxia is quite good as well.

Deals with exactly what you want.
>>
>>8166067
huh? I read that one some years ago, ubik this year and I don't see what you are trying to say, could you explain?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.