[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you study literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
I've decided I'm going to get serious about literature but I'm having some difficulties.

Do you take notes? What kind of notes?

Highlights? Highlight what?

Should you study every book?

To what extent should you study the book?
>>
just read books and quit being a fag about it
>>
Notes of things you notice. Be it structural things, passages you like, characterization, whatever. Do it at your own pace. Study what you want to. Just don't think too hard about it.
>>
>>8163799
Study what you deem relevant to the extent that satisfies you.
Underline what you think is memorable.
Write down what you think is noteworthy.
Read what interests you.
>>
>Taking notes
>Underlining

Sure signs of a meme'd out fucking pleb
>>
>>8163867
>doesnt underline memorable passages
kill yourself shit my man
>>
>>8163799
Get some books about literary theory and different schools, learn about those and reading becomes even more rewarding.
>>
>>8163867

>never annotates

Not gonna make it. Try /r/books.
>>
>>8163869

>underlines spooks

CAN'T WAIT TO USE THIS LITTLE MORSEL IN POLITE CONVERSATION *tips fedora*
>>
"Alan Watts once asked me 'What is your yoga?' and I told him 'Underlining sentences."
Joseph Campbell
>>
This is probably even worse in the eyes of you people, but instead of underlining passages I like, I type them out on my compooper and save them into a text file and every once in a while I read them all for fun.
>>
>>8163911
That's better than scribbling right on the page for sure
>>
>>8163911

Not bad. I've been coming here since /lit/ began and I honestly don't give a rat's ass what most people on here think.
>>
>>8163911

>This is probably even worse in the eyes of you people

Why would you think that /lit/ would shit on you for that? There is nothing inherently wrong with that. You are aggregating them all into one file so you can skim through a lot of different thoughts that resonated with you quickly without having to go from book to book all the time. That's a fine idea. That quick association of ideas might further help to give you some ideas of your own along the way.
>>
>>8163799
Unless you're 12, you clearly don't have the constitution for it.
>>
>>8163799
>Do you take notes?
No
>What kind of notes?
No
>Highlights?
No. Just remember them
>Highlight what?
The memorable parts
>Should you study every book?
No
>To what extent should you study the book?
Read essays about it

Basically this: >>8163857
>>
>>8163799
Ignore everyone telling you to "read what you want" or "read what interests you". Read the books listed in Bloom's The Western Canon.
>>
>>8163911
I have a goodpoems.txt.
>>
>>8165240
Ignore this anon and instead just read what you want or interests you.
>>
>>8165262
Philistine!
>>
>>8163876
>talking to people
>>
>>8165266
>holding on to supposedly "objective" standards
>calls others philistine
>>
>>8165276
>it's all subjective!
>>
>>8165305
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>8165309
You're fedorable.
>>
>>8163911
Hunter S. Thompson
>Working as a copy boy for Time magazine in New York City, Thompson appropriated armloads of office supplies to type Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby as well some of Faulkner's stories--an unusual method for learning prose rhythm.
>>
File: 1465831227387.jpg (391 KB, 1374x1425) Image search: [Google]
1465831227387.jpg
391 KB, 1374x1425
>>8165313
>he can't prove me wrong
>>
>>8163911
>I type them out
>not copy and pasting
pleb
>>
>>8165362
Copy&paste from where? A lot of the books I read I can't find that specific quote on the internet anywhere.
>>
>>8165368
>google search "name of book" filetype:pdf
>have a text file of it
>cntrl + F and "type passage words
>>
>>8165316
It's not unusual at all. In the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, he talks about doing the exact same thing. Emulating greatness is an excellent tool to improve any skill.
>>
>>8165410
Not every book has a PDF file online, anon. Not everyone is reading popular YA, anon.
>>
>>8165328
prove me wrong then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJd_VLJ3TH8
>>
>>8165651
Nothing in this video has anything to do with whether the quality of art is subjective or objective.

And I'm not a liberal either, you narrow-minded moron.
>>
>>8165694
It related to the form of conversation, not the content. idiot

And regardless, prove me wrong.
>>
File: 1465557454936.jpg (12 KB, 467x460) Image search: [Google]
1465557454936.jpg
12 KB, 467x460
>>8163799
Notes and highlighting will only confuse you, just read the book you want to. If you can't follow the storyline anymore you can just go to wikipedia or any other site and see what the general concensus is about the book/how others have summarized the important parts.
It'll help you even if you did understand your book, maybe you overlooked some metaphor or underlying story element. Maybe you even overthought something. Other peoples opinion can and will help you in ways you would've never thought about.

Good luck
>>
>>8165705
There is no objective value to literature (art). Whatever you define as 'good' is based on your personal experience of emotional resonance and entertainment.
>>
>>8165727
nice "proof"
>>
Writing in books is degenerate behaviour, write the important quotes down somewhere else.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.