[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a good book? My friend tells me she loves it but I get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (375 KB, 1089x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
375 KB, 1089x1600
Is it a good book? My friend tells me she loves it but I get the feeling the main character is just /edgy/ and not relatable to people who are actually depressed and aren't normies and maybe are a little r9k.
>>
it's a good book. also, you should take it as a matter of course to ignore what other people say about books before you've even read the first page.

and stop thinking in terms of memes, for chrissakes
>>
>>8161602
*a book
>>
>>8161594
Found it relatable when I was 12, sort of but less so at 14, couldn't finish it again at 18. It's probably worth reading in a lifetime, but I'm sure there is something of more substance by Salinger out there somewhere.

Hating the book because the character isn't relatable is tantamount to meming
>>
>>8161693
The thing is you get more out of it every time you read it. I did it when I was 21 last time.
>>
>>8161594
>main character is not relatable

Then you're not human desu
>>
>>8161602
>what other people say
>memes
two very different things, my friend
>>
>>8161693
I am afraid ot will be like this. My friend talk about the deep stuff the book is about but I'm jist not sure. I am about to read it eventually tho

>>8161734
I think he meant the "edgy, normie and r9k" but I am just switched to this 4chan mode
>>
File: johnny boy.jpg (222 KB, 1062x1600) Image search: [Google]
johnny boy.jpg
222 KB, 1062x1600
>>8161594
>"Also, I would like to see equal attention given to the sexism in popular work by men, from Nicholas Sparks to for instance J. D. Salinger. Catcher in the Rye—although I like it very much—is profoundly and disturbingly misogynistic and yet seems to get a critical pass both online and off. This happens a lot, I think, with books by men, and I don't want male writers (including me!) to get that pass."
>>
File: 4924940-3x2-340x227.jpg (9 KB, 340x227) Image search: [Google]
4924940-3x2-340x227.jpg
9 KB, 340x227
Franny and Zooey > Catcher in the Rye
>>
>>8162408
what a fruit.
>>
If you try to read it as if the author was serious you'll dislike it but if you read it as a character piece it's not so bad.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.