[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you rate this man lit? How much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: Franz_Kafka_1917.jpg (21 KB, 255x340) Image search: [Google]
Franz_Kafka_1917.jpg
21 KB, 255x340
Do you rate this man lit? How much?
>>
Rating art on a numerical scale is stupid.

But Kafka wrote some good stuff
>>
He's slightly overrated IMO, but still very, very good.

Make sure you check out The Judgement.
>>
You betcha I rate him!
I rate him apple out of vermin.
>>
Like Salinger, he gets some flak on this board for the subject matter that he writes about. Once you get past the whole "I'm not gonna read x author because something something edgy" phase, you'll find an author in Kafka who's admittedly overrated but who's also very good at describing the feeling of neglect and confusion that all people will come across at some point in their life.
>>
5.99/9
>>
>>8160510
5/7
flawless
>>
I have confused feelings desu. His insights and the horrific worlds he describes are brilliant. But at the same time I hate that he makes me feel this absolute bleakness.
>>
Jew/88
>>
>>8160424

Kafka is amazing, hilarious and singular (despite his influence).

>>8160508

>Kafka who's admittedly overrated but who's also very good at describing the feeling of neglect and confusion that all people will come across at some point in their life

True, although he is on a level way above Salinger IMO.
>>
>>8160424
Kafka wrote some of the most important lit of the 20th century, and his influence can still be felt today in every piece of art that tries to capture stifling bureaucracy.
>>
>>8160424
He a qt. I wish my hair was that based
>>
>>8160508
>Like Salinger

Kafka has no equal. He is an exceptional writer, revolutionary, and deserves every praise he gets. He is undoubtedly one of the greatest writers.
>>
File: 3_4_08.jpg (821 KB, 1134x775) Image search: [Google]
3_4_08.jpg
821 KB, 1134x775
whats your favorite of his shorter fictions?

mine is either 'the judgment' or 'a little fable'. I have only been disappointment by one of his works, 'a county doctor'. but i feel that is due to the message eluding me
>>
>>8161636
>He is undoubtedly one of the greatest writers.
how
>>
There's a very mystical aura to Kafka's works. They're totally unique and hard to compare to any literature that came before him or was being written in his lifetime. After him, Beckett, Nabokov, Camus, Pynchon, and way more displayed a heavy influence by him at certain parts in their works. Kafka created something strangely new, something that had never been tried before in literature but that has attracted many authors since, to try to capture the sense of being stifled by a conspiracy larger than oneself, by a tedious, stilted, somewhat comical but still huge and frighteningly arbitrary bureaucracy, political or religious system. Kafka already prefigured the paranoia and alienation that's such a major theme in Pynchon's works.

Look at this fucking masterpiece of tone, a brief meaningless bit of prose that creates such a brilliant sense of alienation, of aloneness, of something being wrong and simultaneously a bit comical about the whole modern world, a faceless individual in a mechanized world:

I ran past the first watchman. Then I was horrified, ran back and said to the watchman: "I ran through here while you were looking the other way." The watchman gazed ahead of him and said nothing. "I suppose I really oughtn't to have done it," I said. The watchman still said nothing. "Does your silence indicate permission to pass?". . .
>>
>writes a story
>have to spend time and research going through his life to understand what he really meant while writing it
Ok
>>
>>8162140
I doubt there's a message in A country doctor. Is just surrealistic things happening
>>
>>8162188
No you don't.
>>
I lend a book from the library with the purpose of reading the metamorphosis, but it includes all of his short stories. Are there other stories that anybody can recommend?

My purpose behind the metamorphosis is to get a better grip of camus.
>>
Kafka is truely one of the greats..art should make you think and question..
>>
You must be in a good place psychologically to read him. If not it can really fuck you up like a bad trip
>>
>>8162316
The judgement
The hunger artist
The penal colony
The country doctor

The trees
Absent-minded Window-gazing
The Sudden Walk
Passers-by

Before the Law
>>
>>8162316
An imperial message.
but actually almost all of them.
>>
>>8162140
>country doctor

Use secondary sources, start with something talking about basic themes or structure like
The Structure of “Ein Landarzt”: Rethinking Mythopoesis in Kafka ,
move on to other readings.
Also listen to Henze trying :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnfCOouu5D0

Also watch japan trying even harder :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDjmW-gIsKs
>>
>All of which brings up the question of whether Franz Kafka is truly a major writer. His greatest proponents, insisting that he is, cannot say why, and ask for a permanent moratorium on conventional criticism of his writing. His detractors, a distinct minority, feel that what he left us is the sad story of a lost soul destroyed by modern life. In the end, Henry James wrote in an essay on Turgenev, what we want to know about a writer is, “How does he feel about life?” Kafka found it unbearably complicated, altogether daunting, and for the most part joyless, and so described it in his fiction. This is not, let us agree, the best outlook for a great writer. Great writers are impressed by the mysteries of life; poor Franz Kafka was crushed by them.
Agree/Disagree ?
>>
File: 1351634669919.png (38 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
1351634669919.png
38 KB, 249x249
>>8160424
LARGE HAIR
A
R
G
E

H
A
I
R
>>
Where do I start with him?>>8160424

make sure its one that my local library would have
>>
>>8163150
The Metamorphosis
>>
>>8162735
>This is not, let us agree, the best outlook for a great writer. Great writers are impressed by the mysteries of life
Fucking retarded.
>>
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 919x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 919x1200
>>8161102
those ears tho
>>
File: Messages Image(878340023).png (219 KB, 442x341) Image search: [Google]
Messages Image(878340023).png
219 KB, 442x341
>>8162735
No. The quality of any piece of literature is entirely subjective, varying based on how each reader values such after having read it. Moreover, the owner of this quote should feel very bad for having stated such a poorly thought-out claim; and how can one have such a narrow view of literature. Kafka's works are arguably the pinnacle of 20th century Western literature.
>>
>>8163223
>muh daddy issues
>>
I never liked the metamorphosis but the castle is wonderful and the trial is hilarious
>>
He's probably the best writer in the history of his genre. But horror fiction, however existential, cannot and will never be literary. No matter how he aspires to high seriousness, his works will remain risible.

He was also a vicious racist and homophobe who abhorred miscegenation above any of the cosmic horrors he wrote about. Conservative even for his time, today his views are almost unthinkable and should give any reader pause.

Certainly a figure of the past.
>>
>>8160424
I wish he were alive today and be friends with him/10
>>
Daddy issues
>>
>>8160424
How the fuck is he Jewish? He looks Mexican or Pakistani
>>
>>8160424
Penal Colony is fucking great
>>
>>8163563
>No matter how he aspires to high seriousness, his works will remain risible.
Isn't history proving you wrong on this one ? That horror fiction theory is childish btw.
>>
>>8163223
Such a cutie
>>
>>8162259
Well did you read the original version or a translation?
>>
>>8163563
>He was also a vicious racist and homophobe who abhorred miscegenation above any of the cosmic horrors he wrote about. Conservative even for his time, today his views are almost unthinkable and should give any reader pause.
Can you elaborate on this? Racist against whom? I never heard or read anything like this.
>>
>>8164656
That is clearly a description of Lovecraft.
>>
>>8164669
Oh, it's pretty obvious now that I think about it.
>>
File: file.png (684 KB, 837x598) Image search: [Google]
file.png
684 KB, 837x598
>>8160424
3 little scarabs/10
>>
>>8163563
Kek
>>
File: the-sopranos-michael-imperioli.jpg (30 KB, 212x305) Image search: [Google]
the-sopranos-michael-imperioli.jpg
30 KB, 212x305
reading The Trial right now. fucking great
>>
Typical arrogant dad-hating art faggot
>>
It's been over a century now, and nobody's surpassed him, nobody's come close to understanding him, nobody's even done a passable job of imitating him.

It's a reassuring misreading to say that he's all about bureaucracy in the modern world. There's so much more to his works than that... we like to crunch him down to "office space" so that we can move on from him. But from any really great genius there is never a true moving on, never really any true escape... not unless one's soul and heart are of a greater magnitude than his—and, like I said, I don't think that anybody larger than him has been born since he was.
>>
>>8163563

H.Pepi Lovecraft copypasta, so good I can smell it even here.
>>
>>8165789
>nobody's come close to understanding him
You dumb
>>
>>8162735
Such a pussy ass bitch, Jesus Christ. If the fucktard wants something negative, why doesn't he read about child molestations and serial killers. There's something negative. Kafka's works are art. No matter if some limpwristed fag who fancies himself an "optimist" decries him for his so-called "pessimism". Jeez.

I don't know why I'm so angry, though.
>>
>>8162735
>Henry James
> Great writers are impressed by the mysteries of life

Fucking stupid Americans, Jesus fucking Christ almighty. I wish another 9/11 would happen already and be fucking done with it, fucking Christ almighty.
>>
>>8165771
His dad was real rude though.
>>
>>8165839
fuck you
>>
>>8160424
8/10 his jawline is pretty strong
>>
>>8166964
Y-you too.
>>
>>8162316
>>8162635
The Great Wall of China
The Burrow
On Parables
>>
He's a good writer but appeals too much to sad NEET losers.
>>
File: 1463100037113.gif (1 MB, 276x232) Image search: [Google]
1463100037113.gif
1 MB, 276x232
>>8162316
The Bucket Rider
The Hunger Artist
The Burrow
>>
>rating

neck yourself, sumemrfag
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.