[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth learning a science (beyond a general basic understanding)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 1920x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 1920x960
Is it worth learning a science (beyond a general basic understanding) if you don't plan to have a career in it?
>>
Probably.

Especially if you want to look smart in comment sections.
>>
Sure, why not?
>>
>>8156014

only if it gives you pleasure.
>>
>>8156072
It takes a lot of work to actually get to the intresting parts and acquire a deep understanding of it and without pursuing a career there's not much you get off it.
>>
>>8156073
this OP
YOU should start with the GAY SCIENCE that'll give you PLEASURE because you're a FAG.
>>
>>8156014
Yes. Why wouldn't you want to better understand how the world around you works?
>>
File: 20111228.gif (31 KB, 576x765) Image search: [Google]
20111228.gif
31 KB, 576x765
Depends.
Pic very related.
>>
>>8156123
Getting to the really profound aspects of a scientific subject takes years of work and commitment. Also you can just get the facts from good journals.
I'm a mathematician myself and I don't believe that there are a lot of concepts that might interest someone outside of mathematics (there are a few though, like Godel's Incompleteness Theorem).
It just feels a bit dry when you're grinding it...
>>
>>8156143
Second this.
I study psychology and most people expect some grand self-help tips, literal mind-reading and Freudian discourse.
Instead it's all dry as fuck statistics, neurology, scientific discoveries which aren't nearly as exciting as pop-mags make them out to be and me telling everyone about how my study on the behavior of Austrian tax payers went.

>all I wanted was to help people
>>
Having a half decent grasp on basic chemistry, biology, and physics is essential. When you get to highschool they'll teach you the basics.
>>
I'd suggest you learn mathematics first.
This is a good website for learning first year mathematics.
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/
If you struggle with it than you probably shouldn't attempt to teach yourself about science.
>>
Better keep watching pop science videos on youtube, if it's for pleasure only.
>>
>>8156187
>When you get to highschool
I said "beyond a general basic understanding"

>>8156189
I'm studying for a maths degree atm. I don't know what the other departments are like but I don't believe you need a lot of maths in subjects like chemestry, biology, psychology etc.
>>
>>8156222
You need a decent grasp of calculus for certain topics in chemistry but I took 'science' as meaning just chemistry+physics. How familiar are you with chemistry and biology though? When you use 'general basic knowledge' do you mean to an undergrad level or postgrad?
>>
>>8156222
>I don't believe you need a lot of maths in subjects like chemestry, biology, psychology etc.
>psychology
Well, we are allowed to use computers at some point, obviously. But you have to at least be proficiant enough to understand exactly what you are doing.
Also I understand Chem will have a reasonable amount of math. Especially on topics which are almost straight up particle physics.
>>
>>8156249
Fair enough
>>
>>8156082
>>8156143
You get knowledge. If you're really interested just dive into it, sure it might be dry/hard but if you have geniune interest it won't feel like a chore.

Best part if you're learning by yourself: you get to pick your focus.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.