[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>pick up book >not sure if I should suffer through the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: church book store 6498_1 - kopie.jpg (585 KB, 1369x1600) Image search: [Google]
church book store 6498_1 - kopie.jpg
585 KB, 1369x1600
>pick up book
>not sure if I should suffer through the introduction or not
>>
>>8155227
I prefer reading it after reading the book. It often poses interesting views, but they tend to give away half the plot as well. And you can only really appreciate the views after having read the book yourself first.
>>
>>8155262
>Detective stories with spoiler heavy introductions
>>
>>8155227

>pick up book
>the author of the introduction is monstrously biased and completely misunderstands the author/book whose introduction they're writing

This happened to me with every single Nietzsche/Schopenhauer book.
>>
>pick up a book
>foreward by michel foucault
EVERY FUCKING TIME
>>
>>8155227
Rule of thumb is if it's not by the author himself, I don't read it or read it afterwards.
>>
If you consider supplementary reading to be "suffering" than this isn't the hobby for you.
>>
>>8155227
>Keat's Complete Poems
>80-page introduction
Fuck off.
>>
Usually an introduction will, even if accidentally, spoil you something from the book or tell you what you should think or feel about it.

I nowadays read introductions after the book or not at all.
>>
>>8155262
I avoid them not because of plot spoilers, but because they also direct you into a certain reading of the book. Even if you try to avoid that it inevitably happens because you're now consciously trying not to.
>>
I don't read them because I'm a story cuck and only read for the authors views
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.