[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't like either of the current poetry recommendation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9
File: Essential_poetry_guide.png (1 MB, 1432x1542) Image search: [Google]
Essential_poetry_guide.png
1 MB, 1432x1542
I don't like either of the current poetry recommendation charts and want to make a new one based on eras/styles/movements. Does anyone want to help?
>>
I kind of get Dylan, but 2pac is just another meme, right?
>>
File: yellowbell.png (868 KB, 720x792) Image search: [Google]
yellowbell.png
868 KB, 720x792
>>8152108
>does anyone want to help?
not really but if you have questions i can answer

4chanlit.wikia.com/poetry
>>
>>8152165
Hopefully. The chart in OP is the chart I'm trying to replace.
>>8152168
Yeah, I know about the wikia, will be using it as a general guideline for the chart. I'm trying to figure out if the chart should just be divided by style/movement or be a flowchart. Which would you recommend?
>>
File: easternshootingstar.png (700 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
easternshootingstar.png
700 KB, 720x720
>>8152180
flowcharts are too demanding, getting into poetry isn't something rigid like that, no matter how much I'd like to say that my way of learning is the correct process. probably best to divide it according to some other means but that'll take more work. your chart, up to you, i don't care
>>
These charts need some John Motherfucking Donne
>>
Am currently working on it with a focus on western poetry but I can't decide - should the entries on this chart mainly be works by great and well-known poets or simply the greats and well-knowns themselves?
>>
>>8152210
When will you leak us your flower folder, flowerposter?
>>
File: 1463293043915.jpg (3 MB, 1800x3250) Image search: [Google]
1463293043915.jpg
3 MB, 1800x3250
Isn't this one already made.
>>
>>8152655
This was the other poetry chart I was saying I dislike. It's okay but could be much more in-depth.
>>
File: dwarflarkspur.png (442 KB, 436x968) Image search: [Google]
dwarflarkspur.png
442 KB, 436x968
>>8152640
jesus i haven't been here in months and you're still here asking for my folder. you're persistent. you could've made your own by now

>>8152614
it's easier to just paste in a picture of a poet than it is picking his books and then a cover of it, especially considering a lot of poets have their work spread out in various places besides their own collections. much simpler to just encourage someone to get a complete works of so and so even if they're not going to read the entire oeuvre.
>>
What's the point of poetry? I understand that it can be profound but I really just don't like it. I don't like that it's always in code and you have to slowly decipher it and by the time you translate the entire thing into something comprehensible, the meaning has been lost.

And when you do understand the sentiment, when does it become enjoyable? During the dissection?
>>
>>8152165
I dunno, I reckon Tupac can have some depth and emotion
>>
>>8152672
>I understand that it can be profound but I really just don't like it. I don't like that it's always in code and you have to slowly decipher it and by the time you translate the entire thing into something comprehensible, the meaning has been lost.

that's the joy of it.
>>
>>8152672
kek.
Give it some time.
>>
>>8152667
I haven't been here for months either, our visitations coincide with each other.
>>
>>8152655
>Whitman in entry level and levelled up-tier
>>
File: bitterroot.png (828 KB, 624x813) Image search: [Google]
bitterroot.png
828 KB, 624x813
>>8152672
big things few words, excluding narrative poetry

it's complicated because much of the time it's condensing novel sized ideas into a 14 line sonnet, or whatever. just like if you took a football field sized block of something and smushed it up and condensed it into a golf ball size thing, you can imagine.

but like anything not all poems are the same. you can't really ask what poetry is or what its purpose is because "poetry" isn't definable like that, each poem is its own thing. you can ask what the point of a certain poet is or why a poem is written like this or that, i guess. but you already knew that, yeah?

besides, like poetry people are different too. some of us like esoteric lateral uses of a word and we like to study how the poet used it and why, it's rewarding and exciting and personally gives me ideas for my own writing. might be everyone who likes dense poetry is autistic, who knows. what's the point of novels, right?
>>
File: carolinaspringbeauty.png (515 KB, 720x483) Image search: [Google]
carolinaspringbeauty.png
515 KB, 720x483
>>8152707
it's a meme chart but i did that on purpose
>>
>>8152667
>it's easier to just paste in a picture of a poet than it is picking his books and then a cover of it, especially considering a lot of poets have their work spread out in various places besides their own collections. much simpler to just encourage someone to get a complete works of so and so even if they're not going to read the entire oeuvre.
Okay, will be doing that unless there isn't a complete works of specific poets available. Homer's a complete works guy. Ovid isn't. Should the Metamorphoses get a spot or the erotic poems?
>>
>>8152655
>2 times Whitman in entirely different places

(or am I an illiterate who misses something? They look like the same Whitman.)
>>
>>8152707

Whitman should transcend the concept of levels
>>
File: wildcolumbine.png (447 KB, 364x927) Image search: [Google]
wildcolumbine.png
447 KB, 364x927
>>8152716
both or neither but metamorphoses if you're asking, much more important
>>
>>8152108
i can help, i am knowledgeable in modernism and american modernist movements
>>
This is a masterpiece of modern poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41qC3w3UUkU
>>
i bet you will overestimate the significance of american free style poets in your chart
>>
>>8152655

This was already revealed to be a troll chart.
>>
File: longspur violet.png (454 KB, 720x514) Image search: [Google]
longspur violet.png
454 KB, 720x514
>>8154464
you can't overestimate Whitman considering he's the greatest poet since Shakespeare
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.