[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this guy worth reading? I honestly got interested on him
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: baudelaire_a_cute.jpg (577 KB, 1833x2615) Image search: [Google]
baudelaire_a_cute.jpg
577 KB, 1833x2615
Is this guy worth reading?

I honestly got interested on him while watching Aku no Hana since poetry never was my cup of tea.

I'm going to my nearest bookstore in a couple of hours and books in my country are expensive as fuck so I'd be very thankful if some good-hearted /lit/izen could enlight me about this.
>>
Yes. He's fantastic.
Lots of people criticize him for being gloomy but they are filthy optimists.
>>
I'm not usually one of the ">reading translations" people but I could never find English translations of Baudelaire that were half-decent. If you have any French knowledge whatsoever, I'd recommend reading the English translations of his poems side-by-side with the original French.
>>
>>8151083
Read it in French or don't read it at all.
>>
>>8151083
Baudelaire's writing is wonderful and I'm sure there are really good translations in most languages. Completely worth it.
>>
OP here.

Would you suggest Spanish over English?

The former is my native language and reading him in French is not a possibility (for now).

Besides that, thanks for the input.
>>
>>8151356
as a french native speaker, I don't think the sonority of spanish will do. I don't see any interest in reading poetry translated, though, since it's the literary form that try to fuse the signified and significant, to question the language itself - don't know if i'm clear, my english isn't really good.
>>
>>8151451
>as a french
>SIGNIFIED AND SIGNIFICANT

jesus the memes were true

cleanse this shitty nation from the earth before this dude digs up saussure's corpse to give it a handjob
>>
>>8151541
could you please develop?
>>
>>8151541
jesus christ dude calm down.
>>
Aku no hana has nothing to do with him besides the mc pretending he understands Baudelaire. The poems were part of the "behind the mountains" he was trying to reach while not understanding what it's about. I really liked Aku no Hana. It was one of the most thoughtful manga i've read.
>>
>>8151854
What a wonderful phrase!
>>
>>8151854
I pretty much knew Aku no Hana wasn't really about Baudelaire, though I thought there were influences on how the characters saw the world portrayed in the series.

Btw, I haven't read the manga yet but the anime, while flawed, left a big impression on me, or rather a scar.
>>
>>8151083
buy a bilingual edition, learn french.
>>
>>8152518
well, the characters in the manga are drawn so typically that it makes people perceive the work through stamps like "yandere" and such. The anime really puts everything happening in a real world context and their actions have more weight there. Like the scene where they were walking back home for ten minutes after wrecking the classroom.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.