[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Valdimir Nabakov
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Vladimir_Nabokov_1969b.jpg (443 KB, 678x966) Image search: [Google]
Vladimir_Nabokov_1969b.jpg
443 KB, 678x966
Considering his contributions to literature, do you think he was justified to make those scathing criticisms about authors like Conrad, Faulkner, and Dostoyevsky?
>>
>>8149332
His criticism was a proto meme
>>
>>8149332
I respect him for having his own opinion and criterion for literary judgement, even if I often disagree with it. Far better than the mass of people who are slaves to the tastes of others.
>>
>>8149332
everybody can have their personal opinion regardless if they made a contribution to the literature or not
>>
>>8149332
I disagree with him, but it's a crucial part of why he was such an original writer. He wasn't influenced by the same group of writers as many others were.
>>
He's like the Jean-Luc Godard of literature. He put out a single important and influential piece of work, and then spent the rest of his career being a spiteful and pretentious prick about everyone else in the industry, both past and present. Lolita served as the bicycle pump for his fat ass ego.
>>
>>8149388
Except Godard made quite alot of films considered classics and "must sees" and whatnot
>>
>>8149388
Godard has pretty much the greatest body of work of any filmmaker.
>>
>>8149388
that's such a piece of bs
lolita isn't even his best book
>>
>>8149388
lol. nice bait, mate.
>>
>>8149332
i honestly believe most of those criticism were tongue in cheek. corncobby, bells, balls and bulls? he was so damn good at soundbites pre-soundbite age.
>>
>takes his novel written on flashcards and lights it on fire in his back yard
>Wife comes out and saves it and bitches at him to finish it

Yeah I'm going to take what he says with a grain of salt
>>
>>8149454
Only fartsniffing /lit/ poseurs and ostentatious tripfaggots like yourself give a hoot about Nabby's other work.

Filtered.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.