[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question /lit/ I got old books from my grandma, and I really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 20160610_180103.jpg (199 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160610_180103.jpg
199 KB, 1280x720
Question /lit/
I got old books from my grandma, and I really want to keep them, however they have broen spotty mold on them (cover mostly).
What is the best way to sterilize it so it doesn't spread to my collection?
I have access to -80C freezer, autoclave, liquid nitrogen, and lab grade chemicals.
Thoughts?
>>
>>8149165
*brown mold. I could identify down to family/genius if need be.
>>
>>8149165
>>8149169
Who don't you ask /sci/ or some shit, the fuck do you expect us to know about mould over any other board?
>>
>>8149165
If you put them into a freezer for a week, the mold should die. Or at least the mold-spots on some of my beer-soaked drinking books haven't gotten bigger that way.
>>
Here's what you do.

Put them in the liquid nitrogen tank overnight. Then take a hammer and chisel and chip off the mold. Youre going to have to put a bit of pressure on the cover because the mold is probably growing within the linen, so don't be afraid to give it a very good smack.
>>
>>8149208
Done that to a banana, works like a charm to get the brown spots out.
>>
>>8149175
>>8149175
>>8149175
>getting this butthurt on c/lit/
>>
>>8149165
If it's just paper covers, it's called foxing, m8. Stick it in the freezer wrapped in plastic, in case it's mold based. This won't reduce the foxing, but it will kill the mold to stop it spreading like >>8149202 says. Not all foxing is mold based, so even this step is excessive for foxing, but it's a good step to take in case there's any bookworms in there too.

You can bleach foxing, but it's likely to eat the page or text if you're not careful, and it's really only done for aesthetic reasons. I usually just leave anything with foxing on the edges of pages to sun bleach, but that won't work as well as painting on a peroxide solution if the book is foxed throughout the pages not just on the edges or covers, obviously.

If they have cloth covers, you could be dealing with mold or bookworms, and freezing them will kill either, but you'll probably want the covers replaced.
>>
Put them into the autoclave

why do you have access to an autoclave if you don't even understand what it would do to your books
>>
>>8150566
Thanks for the crash course, I'll go plastic bag in freezer as I don't care about aesthetics, just spreading
>>8150587
>implying I thought to just stick them in there and go
There are a lot of ways to autoclave, just heat, no steam, steam but then a pressured dry, pulsing and much more. Plus you can put them in Nalgene containers, foil, or a whole host of other things.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.