[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people associate being able to read very quickly, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: homer consider.jpg (7 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
homer consider.jpg
7 KB, 259x195
Why do people associate being able to read very quickly, and high intelligence?

I work with a girl who is arguably smart, but she does, and says, really stupid things all the time.

She has no basic common sense skills whatsoever, yet she told me she read an 850 page book in two hours....
>>
>>8143380
She lied or she skimmed and didn't retain. Or you've met some sort of super genius who's really saying a whole bunch of super smart things you just can't keep up with.
>>
>>8143380
>I work with a girl who is arguably smart, but she does, and says, really stupid things all the time
maybe you think she does and says stupid things because you are the stupid one there? it happens pretty often
>>
>>8143498
No.....

She couldn't figure out how to make a pedometer work. There was a paper tab that disconnected the battery from the device, so the battery could keep it's charge. She could not figure this out.

She also thinks Jane Austen is a great writer.
>>
>>8143513
Intelligence comes in all shapes and sizes. Your local mechanic may be able to very quickly tell what's wrong with your car by just knocking on the bonnet, but hasn't read a book since they were in high school.

You on the other hand may be able to read a book about cars very quickly but not have the slightest idea where that bit goes once you're finished reading.
>>
>>8143624
>>8143513
apples and pears
>>
>>8143380
>I work with a girl who is arguably smart, but she does, and says, really stupid things all the time.
Are you sure you don't just want to bang her and in reality she isn't as smart es you'd like her to be?
>>
File: squinchyface_dennis.gif (1 MB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
squinchyface_dennis.gif
1 MB, 250x233
>>8143380
>that grammar
>that second sentence's structure my god
>mfw you claim to "read" and to not be "really stupid"
>>
>>8143380
>>8143513
Nobody gives a shit, including her. Delete this thread and stop living for the admiration of your peers.
>>
>>8143661
Stairs?
>>
>>8143380

>850 pages book in two hours
>less than 10 seconds a page

Unless it was the Bumper Book of Haiku, that's BULLSHIT
>>
>>8143672
> I write everything as if it were a thesis paper
>>
>>8143684
I was just asking a question, and trying to start a dialogue. I was using her as an example. You are focusing on the person, rather than my main question.
>>8143712
I agree
>>
>>8143624
I agree with this sentiment, yet there is an overwhelming amount of people who think fast reading + comprehension = highly intelligent.
>>
>>8143672
Also I think you are projecting quite a bit there buddy. I never claimed to read, and I never claimed to be intelligent.
>>
>>8143380
>yet she told me she read an 850 page book in two hours

She's either lying to look smart or is speed reading just for completions sake. There's a difference between just reading the words and understanding them.
>>
>>8143380

While there surely are a few people who are able to read and comprehend that fast it's unlikely that she is one of them. Just call her out for being a liar and if she isn't she can't really blame you, the odds are against her.
>>
>>8143513
Most really intelligent people's minds don't operate in the same way as normies.
>>
Clever people read quickly, intelligent people read slowly.
>>
>>8145875

Fuckin autistic millennial Confuscious retard boy: the post
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.