[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello lit I'm looking for non sci-fi or cyberpunk books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 29x85k3.gif (2 MB, 496x534) Image search: [Google]
29x85k3.gif
2 MB, 496x534
Hello lit I'm looking for non sci-fi or cyberpunk books that have the same philosophical aspects of movies like End of Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, serial experiments Lain and Blade Runner. I prefer if it was beautifully written, I'm not just looking to read something for the sake of reading something, I really want to enjoy it. I really like the sorts of books that can change your life and stay in your memory for a long time, ever.
>>
looking for a philosophical mindfuck?
>>
>>8139878
I'm not quite sure how to answer that.
>>
that game is free on gog today
>>
>>8139912
I got in on steam a while ago, I've been playing it a lot lately. The game is fucking fantastic.
>>
>>8139872
Flannery O'conner for the spiritual stuff, Kafka for the identity stuff.
Pynchon for proto cyberpunk.
>>
Pynchon - Bleeding Edge (it's a good book, don't let anyone tell you otherwise)

Watts - Blindsight (freely available online)

Negarestani - Cyclonopedia (Lovecraftian oil/cyberpunk in the middle east)

Eclipse Phase Rulebook (practical guidelines for the transhuman age)
>>
Hideaki Anno, Creator of Evangelism was inspired by Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End, check that out.

Ghost in the Shell is basically William Gibson's Neuromancer too
>>
>>8140191
Gits is absolutely nothing like Neuromancer outside of the aesthetic.
>>
>>8140098
croat please
>>8140198
the major = wintermute
the puppet master = neuromancer
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-08-19-01-48.png (83 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-08-19-01-48.png
83 KB, 540x960
>>8140229
>croat please
You almost got me, but I don't like Pynchon at all. I'm also not the only one who likes O'Connor.
>the major = wintermute
Superficial
>the puppet master = neuromancer
Superficial
Hence, why I said it's superficial similarity. Gits is more about dualism as in mind body problem, identity and femininity. I'd say it's far more Do Androids dream of electric sheep than Neuromancer, theme wise.
>>
>>8140198
Actually gits is more or less necromancer with the protagonists merged and the numbers filed off.

>A hacker and an action girl help a rogue AI achieve transcendence.
>An action girl hacker helps a rogue AI achieve transcendence.
>>
If I can just be more specific, I was meaning that I am looking for something like these books that doesn't have the sci fi and cyberpunk element. I really like these books for the super deep themes that are up for rich interpretation and what not, but I am looking for something that is not sci fi and cyberpunk. I already know do androids dream of electric sheep and neuromancer and I was hoping that I could find something a bit different, because I haven't read those yet and I don't really plan on venturing outside of those into other stuff in this territory until I've at least read those first.
>>
>>8140787
Pynchon, though oft memed 'bout, is a good suggestion: his rapid-fire themes and ponderings, usually associated with a particular character, can be quite "philosophical". But I think you are searching for Borges, he is a perfect fit. No cyberpunk or sci-fi.
>>
>>8140814
Ohhh sweet. I have his collected fictions. I was just getting into it yesterday. I'm still trying to get a grasp of his writing style so I can feel more comfortable reading it. I think I will have to just be patient with him, I didn't really care much about the story with the negro slave at the beginning of the book, because the subject matter seemed very straight forward and I was expecting borges to be really abstract and extremely poetic. I wish that I could find something else as abstract and poetic as the book of disquiet, but I'm probably sounding like an obnoxious noob to you at this point.
>>
>>8140938
Check out the story "the garden of forking paths"
>>
>>8139888
Why, you naif. It's the new, epic meme! Catch up, you slowpoke! :D
>>
>>8140294
>croat please
what does this mean?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.