[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Jack McDevitt?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: deepsix.jpg (157 KB, 800x1288) Image search: [Google]
deepsix.jpg
157 KB, 800x1288
What do you think of Jack McDevitt?
>>
File: polaris.jpg (36 KB, 336x500) Image search: [Google]
polaris.jpg
36 KB, 336x500
>>
I've only read A Talent for War, which was a passably good adventure mystery in an SF milieu. The resolution of the mystery was disappointing, though.
>>
>>8139945
Yeah, I remember that.
I thought the new engine was cool, and I saw how he was leading up to it, but there could've been a few more details.
>>
>>8139859
>>8139870
>>8139945
>>8142261
genre shit go to your containment thread
>>
>>8142263
philosophy has its own board:
>>>/his/
>>
>>8142263
There's also a whole board for autistic peeps like you:
>>>/b/
>>
>>8142261
I actually thought the new engine was precisely the disappointing part. I mean, the mystery was about how did they do the things they did, since no one had tech that enables the stuff they (ostensibly) did. Then, it turns out they DID have tech like that. What a let down.
>>
>>8143448
I see. I understand you now.
A more fantastic answer could have been cool too, but I suppose McDevitt isn't that sort of guy.
I promise you though, that the sequels really do build up things, in both of his series.

It's been a while since I've read anything from him though: I mostly have fond nostalgia.
>>
>>8143465
I was thinking the answer would've been that several ships played the role of the flagship, and the admiral(?) was such a mastermind that he successfully maneouvred his ships accordingly, and created a legend

I have the first Academy book, and I do intend to read the next 1-2 Alex Benedict series at least to gauge interest. Also Infinity Beach looks cool. So I haven't given up on him certainly.
>>
>>8143489
That's also what I was thinking before the reveal.
But yeah, I hope you enjoy!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.