[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aristotle says a virtuous man can't befriend a vicious man.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1437950183258.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1437950183258.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
Aristotle says a virtuous man can't befriend a vicious man. Nor could a rich man befriend a poor man. I think this is kinda true.

Do you think writers with a upper middle class background with good educations can portray anything distant from their realities? Will they be able to successfully talk about poverty?
>>
>>8139397
well sure the homeless look biblical do they not
>>
I think Aristotle is a dumbass if he actually he thought that, but I havent read anything by him yet. (My impression though is that he's what would happen if Plato was an alt-right Machiavellian edgelord)

I dont see why any writer couldnt "live it", "for study" (as bad as that sounds) if they wanted to write about poverty.
>>
>>8139397

Aristotle for how smart he is was wrong.
>>
it's like it is with music, and if you haven't lived it, the notes will ring flat or sound forced. good writing can't make up for not knowing what you're talking about.
>>
>>8139406
>My impression though is that he's what would happen if Plato was an alt-right Machiavellian edgelord
My knowledge of Aristotle is entirely based on Memeneux: The Post
>>
>>8139406

Germane to the topic, why do people feel so compelled to comment on something they willingly acknowledge they know nothing about?
Is this the effect of the internet?
>>
>>8139397
If you're still hung up on Aristotle then you're way behind the bell-curve.

I think anyone that possess a talent for writing can accurately surmise the qualities and attributes of something in a way than renders a sincere or realistic impression to their audience. For your question specifically, it doesn't take much to realize what poverty entails. Try living six months on minimum wage in an unfamiliar city and you'll know what I mean; You'll see the truth that liberal yuppiedom has yet to comprehend..
>>
>>8139397
he's of course right, the virtuous man can suspend his tolerance and/or judgement for only so long and cannot truly accept the baser persons quality, without losing his virtue - something that is a required in a friendship - a truly virtous man will not gladly lose his virtue making the deal incompatible.

>your not virtuous if yer thinken otherwise
>>
>>8139428
Ok. Great answer. I'm only now reading Nicomachean Ethics. I hope Augustine and Post-Kant morals are just as good.

What about a poor writer portraying aristocracy? He wouldn't be able to live it. Could he imitate it as well?
>>
>>8139426
The effect of democracy.
>>
>>8139550
The effect of Christianity.
>>
The rich and poor can be friends the rich friend must give more money and the poor man more love. This is explained. It's one of the utilitarian friendships he was talking about. I like Aristotle do all you guys hate him like everything else?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.