[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you practice writing? I'm able to put in the effort
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: journal.jpg (17 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
journal.jpg
17 KB, 236x354
How do you practice writing? I'm able to put in the effort to produce 5-10 pages every day. But what on earth do I write about?

How do you practice?
>>
>>8139348
The act of writing is practicing writing. Reading also makes you a better writer.

Write about anything, especially subjects that interest you.
>>
Many "how to write" books come with collections of writing prompts, two recommendations from similar threads:

The Portable MFA

The Making Of A Story
>>
Have you any passions? Things you like? Anything that interests you? 5 to 10 pages a day is massive, yet most of it is probably crap. That's okay. Write down your thoughts and maybe keep a dream journal for wacky plot ideas and themes. Actively analyse your writing, what makes it good, what sounds good, read it out loud maybe. Read a lot.
>>
>>8139348
Take your notebook to a public space, a park, a coffee shop, a museum and just describe what's around you.
What do you see? What do you hear? What are the other people doing? What might be going on inside their minds? What's going on inside yours?
>>
>>8139348
I'm wanting to get into writing myself. What's the content of your 5-10 pages? Is it just a stream of consciousness?
>>
>>8139611
Well, I'd forced myself to write creatively. I've done two bad short stories, and I'm wondering if there's more to it than just writing fiction, although my goal is to become a better fiction writer.

To the other anon, thanks for those book suggestions, I'll check them out.
>>
>got a little notebook for writing om the go
>tfw it's super uncomfortable to write on the left pages
What do I do about this? I was thinking of only writing on the right sides and using the left to draw on after turning it 90°
>>
>>8140763

post your stories and we LL critique them

only way to get gud
>>
Write what you know. It sounds trite, but really think about that sentence. Inform your heart and ethics with your experiences, and experience doesn't mean first hand presence. What do you know in your heart to be something you love, or something that's morally true, or something you think looks cool or you'd like to experience yourself? I don't think there's such thing as uncreative people because we constantly create the world around us by our existence in it, our intent, and our actions. Open your mind and go with the flow.
>>
>>8141017

You can also flip it over and write backwards and upside down once you reach the end of it. I'd love to write a book one day that can be read in either direction like this.
>>
>>8141178
Not OP, but could I?
>>
>>8142179

there's no need to ask you can just post it and if it's bad people will tell you
>>
>>8141017
Get a reporter's notebook; you flip the pages upwards.
>>
I write at the rate of a page a day and achieving over 100 pages seems incomprehensible. I feel as if it would be a millennia for me to complete a novel and even remembered why I started writing in the first place.
>>
i have some idea but its difficult to make those details right as i write about something that happened many years ago
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.