[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help, lads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1410540270477.jpg (91 KB, 653x490) Image search: [Google]
1410540270477.jpg
91 KB, 653x490
There's a small line in my favorite novel that I'd like to use as the title of a short story collection that I'm currently working on. Could I just use it as is and credit the novels's author somewhere in the collection? Would I need their express permission? Or could I just use it without any worries? It's a little-know novel that came out almost twenty years ago, but I don't want to offend the author or get into any legal hot water. I have my heart set on this title and I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advace, lads.
>>
>>8139193
What? Of course you can use it. It's a sentence.
You can credit it if you want or you can just use it. You can't get in trouble for that.

Besides, if you're self-publishing, no one is going to read it anyway.
>>
>>8139212
No, I've got a few stories published in lit mags and journals that I plan to include in the collection and I'm working on writing the last few and hopefully getting some of those published as well--the rest will be new, original, unpublished work. What kind of a trap am I walking into, here? Do you need an actual fan following to be able to put out a collection or it it just the quality and published pieces that matter? Thanks again for the help.
>>
>>8139193
find the author on twitter and ask them
don't forget to tell them you'r a massive fan of their book
>>
>>8139241
>title stuff
You won't get in any hot water, it's done a lot. Even if the writer who's work you are quoting thinks you are shit they will more than likely be flattered.
>publishing a collection
I wouldn't call it a trap, but it's difficult to just shop around a story collection alone. A friend of mine published a collection with Simon & Schuster somewhat recently, and they only do one collection a year, and they mostly did it just to get at his novel that he's working on. Apparently that's pretty standard procedure with the big houses. You don't need a completed novel to do this, but having a solid pitch for the book and/or an early draft helps a lot.
Good independent publishers will publish a collection without signing you for a novel though. What I mean by that is Graywolf and other similar caliber houses.
>>
>>8139577
>DFW
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.