[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dear Kartoffels of /lit/, I never ever get to talk about my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
File: MAX GOLDT.jpg (1 MB, 2008x2677) Image search: [Google]
MAX GOLDT.jpg
1 MB, 2008x2677
dear Kartoffels of /lit/,

I never ever get to talk about my favorite author, because he is not at all (or barely) even translated.

any of the Germans here familiar with Max Goldt? I've read all of his works, I've been to his readings twice and he has remained my favorite author for almost a decade now.

ask me anything about Max Goldt.

in here I will be posting a few of his cartoons & collabs incase no one will respond (which is gonna happen, isn't it?)
>>
literally who
>>
File: JOGHURT IM RUCKSACK.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
JOGHURT IM RUCKSACK.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>>8136634

sadly a lot of fantastic German writers, like Goldt, Arno Schmidt, or Herbert Achternbusch are rarely to ever discussed on this forum. I don't blame anyone, they're not very well-known. maybe Schmidt is.
>>
>>8136619

What makes him so great?
>>
>>8136645
>>8136619
i'm in the process of learning German.. any chance you could recommend some good literature that isnt really popular here
>>
File: ICH BETRACHTE DAS ELEND.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ICH BETRACHTE DAS ELEND.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>>8136649

in short: he's funny as hell. the way he observes cultural phenomena, the way he uses and misuses language, his frame of references, his characters are fantasti and unique, often wildly thrown together from different spheres..

his prose is beautiful, he is verbose yet extremely easy to read. his language works on many different levels. when I first read him I didn't understand half of what he was saying, yet I was still captured.

sorry if this comes off as pretentious, I write highly pretentious reviews of my favorite albums in my free time.
>>
>>8136659

I would love to, though I do not see the point of your arbitrary restriction. did you include it because you are already familiar with most of the German works circulating on this board?

in general I must say /lit/ has great taste when it comes to German literature. all the classics are worth reading. though there are some German writers which Germans consider essential that are barely ever mentioned here. A few of them are:

Georg Büchner: Woyzeck
Arthur Schnitzler: Traumnovelle
Gerhard Hauptmann: Bahnwärter Thiel

those are all very essential and often referenced. though to come back to my earlier point: I do not see anything wrong with the German literature that is popular on /lit/. I think everyone should have read Faust, Der Gute Mensch von Sezuan, Siddharta, Der Zauberberg, Die Verwandlung, Maria Stuart, Homo Faber and many others often mentioned here.

The ones I recommended earlier I specifically recommended because they give you an understanding of how the German language changed, yet they are still easy to read, language wise. Atleast I would think so.

A lot of that is high school literature, which in my personal opinion does not take away from it at all.

If you want to go deeper you need a very firm understanding of the German language. I would not recommend reading someone like Arno Schmidt or Heidegger, Kant or Hegel without knowing German very well.
>>
File: BROTE SCHMIEREN.jpg (48 KB, 888x950) Image search: [Google]
BROTE SCHMIEREN.jpg
48 KB, 888x950
>>8136619

"I still have some breads to smear"
>>
File: KOMPOTT.jpg (122 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
KOMPOTT.jpg
122 KB, 1500x1500
>>8136619

"Would you like me to pour some compote into your hood?"
>>
>>8136701
Different German learner here. Thanks for the recommendations. I've been looking for good high school level novels to get into.
>>
File: WER KENNT DIESEN MANN.jpg (6 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
WER KENNT DIESEN MANN.jpg
6 KB, 150x150
>>8136792

you're welcome, shoot questions for native German speakers at me if you have any
>>
>>8136811
What are the best German translations for the Russian classics?
>>
>>8136739
Isn't that bread to butter?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.