[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, is Faulkner just a meme? I see this guy's name and works
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 540x738) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 540x738
So, is Faulkner just a meme? I see this guy's name and works pop up everywhere I go it seems. Should I give it a chance?
>>
>>8135415
Dislike him. Writer of corncobby chronicles. To consider them masterpieces is an absurd delusion. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me.
>>
>>8135432
Pay no attention to Nabokov-sama. Faulkner is great. Start with Light in August, it's his most accessible of his "big four." After that, do As I Lay Dying, then you might be ready for The Sound and the Fury. Save Absalom, Absalom! for last, it's his most challenging and most demanding work.

If you enjoyed those, I'd also highly recommend Sanctuary and The Reivers.
>>
>>8135415
>is Faulkner just a meme
this board makes me want to kms
>>
>>8135432

Nice Nabokov.

>>8135433

This guy's right. Faulkner isn't a meme. He writes complicated, dense and verbose prose though. Some people think that means it's shit writing, but they don't know much about style and think bow down to Hemingway and other such idols of the cult of clarity.

Clarity is just a failure's buzzword for 'good writing'. Hardly any decent writers use clear, concise speech. There is repetition, tautology and thesaurus overuse in every decent work. Why? Because it can sound fucking great. Because it adds to MOOD and STYLE. Good writing can be wordy, dense and complicated. Get over it cunts.

Try Absalom Absalom first OP. His work is variable. He wrote a lot of pleb shit for money too, and to be honest As I Lay Dying is pleb shit.
>>
Once you are done with Faulkner, practice your Spanish by reading Juan Benet's "Volverás a Región"
>>
>>8135672
Heh tú otra vez.
>>
>>8135415
faulkner has been gaining in his meme-status on lit for some months now
>>
>>8135691
Qué picardía
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.