[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the film equivalent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
What is the film equivalent?
>>
File: p24725_d_v8_aa[1].jpg (405 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p24725_d_v8_aa[1].jpg
405 KB, 960x1440
>>8126351
>>
>>8126361
lels

I don't think there is one since lit has been around much longer than film and thus has had the time to mature to make works like the meme trilogy (excepting IJ lol)

if based on general ambition, difficulty and the subversion of and innovation upon cinematic tropes, then I would probably put forward a trilogy of

Synecdoche, New York
the Tree of Life
Mulholland Drive

might replace some with tarkovsky. also ignoring satantango and such since I haven't seen
>>
>>8126517
>the Tree of Life
Isn't that really simple, though?
>>
David Lynch for the first and last; he's a pretentious fuckwit that can't write and couches his inadequacy by appealing to fart-sniffing hipsters as well.
>>
>>8126517

None of those books have been around longer than film has existed, and cinema and literature actually share a much more interdependent relationship than just individual worlds developing linearly in a vacuum. I would say calling cinema a less developed medium is actually quite arrogant and out of line.

In response to OP,
1. The Mirror (Tarkovsky)
2. An Autumn Afternoon (Ozu)
3. The Wind Will Carry Us (Kiarostami)

Ahh, that was really painful. I am humbly awaiting challenges.
>>
The Godfather
Shawshank Redemption
The Dark Knight
>>
If you're doing like with like, I'd say
Apocalypse now (?)
Seventh seal/Mirror
Pulp fiction/Blue velvet
>>
>>8126525
have you seen it? I guess one could see it as a very vague film with a very simple thesis, but the problem is that answers as to what that simple thesis is vary a great deal because of the vague and complex composition of the film
>>8126537
>>8126537
>None of those books have been around longer than film has existed
that's entirely missing the point though, becuase I meant that those books were able to reach such apotheoses of complexity because they could draw on the previous millenia of literature, whereas film only has about 100 years throughout which it has developed. you could make the argument that film has been able to progress artistically more quickly than literature was able to because of the nature of the 20th century's cultural condition, but the same speed of progression happened in literature too.
>>8126537
>and cinema and literature actually share a much more interdependent relationship than just individual worlds developing linearly in a vacuum.
this is true
>>8126537
>I would say calling cinema a less developed medium is actually quite arrogant and out of line.
I don't think that stating that literature has had more time to develop a canon than cinema is arrogant, it's fundamentally correct. whether you think that cinema has produced masterpieces on the same tier as ulysses is up to you of course (I wouldn't agree).

I agree with your choice of Tarkovsky movie. I don't think Ozu would be a part of any meme trilogy since he doesn't have that same all-encompassing insane artistic ambition. havent seen kiarostami.

honestly I think

1. Synecdoche, New York
2. The Mirror
3. 2001: a Space Odyssey
>>
File: 1442560258634.jpg (49 KB, 486x473) Image search: [Google]
1442560258634.jpg
49 KB, 486x473
Gravity's Rainbow = Out 1: Noli Me Tangrere OR The Holy Mountain
Ulysses = Intolerance OR Slacker
Infinite Jest = Magnolia OR Southland Tales
>>
>>8126603
nice. maybe decalogue instead of intolerance, shares superficial structuring around ancient text and general ambition etc
>>
>>8126351
Le chevalier noir se lève
>>
>>8126580

What do you reckon the significance of the water buffalo slaying is in AN?
>>
Something by Tarkovsky (or maybe Bergman or Von Trier)
Fellini's 8 ½
L'Age d'Or
>>
will reading these books make me a better writer?
>>
>>8126723
Reading any books well and critically should make you a better writer.
>>
>>8126661
Yikes, I guess they make the slaying a ceremony to celebrate the whole "cycle of life" thing, (the animal's death facilitating their life etc.) and cut together with Kurtz's assassination, you could interpret that as the progression of a similar cycle. Kurtz has to die so that Willard can become the God of evil, or "heart of darkness". The assassination is similarly ceremonial, and a point could be made that Willard's darkness is fed by Kurtz's killing the way the natives will be fed by the water buffalo. What do you think?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.