[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think about audiobooks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
What does /lit/ think about audiobooks?
>>
pleb shit and utter trash

>B-BUT MUH COMMUTE
just end yourself already
>>
>>8124551
They're nice
I wouldn't listen to a lot of things in audio form but shit like genre-fiction and fantasy I think lend themselves well to the medium
>>
>>8124551
The reason that I like reading is: the ability to control the narrative. You know, being able to read fast and slow, emphasize some words, underline, stop and really think about a paragraph. Audiobooks take the beauty of reading and pack it up into a nice little package for people that have bad attention spans.

I've seen a resurgence of audiobooks over the last several years in self improvement circles. People on /fit/ know they should read more, but sit down and try and can't. So they turn to audiobooks. It's just going through the motions. Reading is relaxing, you sit down at the end of the day and you crack open the novel, or the essay you've been reading and you continue, swapped into another world. Maybe my brain is broken, but audiobooks don't do that for me. I don't want someone to tell me a story when I'm driving, or on the train. I want to read.
>>
Despite absolutely hating them because I actually read I have debated with myself whether I want to add them to my phone so I can listen to something besides music when I mow the grass. Usually takes me an hour or so at a slow pace since it's so hot here I will die if I go faster than a speeding snail, and I cycle through my music a lot.

I don't know if I want to do it though since I haven't seen that many audiobook torrents and I will be damned if I buy one.
>>
>>8124551
I cringe listening to audiobooks, they just don't sound right to me. Books are designed to be read by you using your internal monologue. It just doesn't feel right to me hearing someone else reading the book and trying to change there voice to fit the tone.

There are exceptions though, a book about a subject like a historical event or a scientific theory I can listen to. I just can't listen to audiobooks of a novel.
>>
>>8124570
Something is wrong with you
People like to be told stories
That's why I'm completely fine with audiobooks

In fact in some ways I think it's better
Most Greek classics (and most ancient epic poetry in general) should NOT be read
>>
File: 1446999369819.png (18 KB, 626x551) Image search: [Google]
1446999369819.png
18 KB, 626x551
>>8124617
>I read for plot

pffffffffffffffffffffffhahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>8124609

My internal monologue reads way too fast for some books. For example DFW literally writes in a conversational tone. I thought it was trash until I slowed the fuck down.
>>
>>8124626
I have that problem sometimes. I do it with a whole page and then I have to stop reading for a few seconds and read the whole page over again.
>>
>>8124579
Audiobookbay.cc
>>
File: c1.jpg (53 KB, 600x887) Image search: [Google]
c1.jpg
53 KB, 600x887
well, people have listened to others tell stories since the beggining of language, so I have no problem with them

the quality of an audiobook depens on several factors, do you have a good narrator? is it the right type of narrator for the book? does the writing lend itself to be read out loud?

a lot of anons say that audiobooks are more adequate for genre fiction or stuff that doesnt require much attention, I disagree, but the context matters a lot, you will probably miss stuff if you listen to one while playing a videgame or doing a workout, its best left for other situations like a long car ride.

It takes me 30 minutes to walk from my home to my university, every day, so a good audiobook helps a LOT to break up the routine.

the biggest drawback is just how much time it can take to finish one, your eyes are way faster that someone reading at a reasonable pace, so book that would normally take you an afternoon to read will clock at 7 hours or more

currently listening to pic related

also: audiobookbay.me

knock yourself out
>>
Saving the industry
>>
Can't let go of physical books. My mind wanders too much when listening to a novel and I appreciate sentence structure/syntax much more when it's right there in front of me.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.